1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transitioning to new job/career

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I know we've had a lot of threads similar to this, so my apologies if this gets a lot of old responses. This thread is directed toward people who have left the business (voluntarily or involuntarily).

I'm worried because I'm soon-to-be 23 years old. I thought it would be an easy transition because I've got a good skill set, but all of the jobs I'm browsing require at least 2-3 years of experience. I have 8 months of "professional experience" as I graduated in June.

I don't want to take a job that requires nothing more than a GED (no offense to anyone), because I put in a lot of work to break into an industry/career I thought I'd be in forever.

Did I pigeonhole myself by having so many sports internships/work experiences rather than a more well-rounded resume? Is it even possible to pigeonhole yourself at 23 years old?

Help. I'm getting nervous. :-\

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

A bunch of sentences with no transitions:

Don't worry about pigeonholing yourself at 23.

Don't worry about jobs requiring x years of experience. If you can impress an interviewer, you can get past just about any requirement. (And I know it's hard to get past that step sometimes -- have been there. But your writing skill can help you produce a cover letter that will intrigue a hiring manager despite whatever "limitations" you might think you have.)

Think about what else you're passionate about, and pursue opportunities there.

You might have to take a "bridge" job in a field you're less passionate about to keep the bills paid.

Be prepared to relocate if necessary.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

See the stickied resource thread, started by Cadet, at the top of the page. Lots of great help up there.

4. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I'm just thinking if I send a resume, I'll get overlooked when they see I graduated in May 2008, you know? If it requires 2-3 years of experience, they might just toss my resume out when they see I have 0-1 years of experience.

Flash, I've seen it. Plenty of good stuff in there. I don't know, I'm just getting worried.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What he said.

6. Jay, If you have college experience as a free-lancer, stringer, etc., or time on the student paper, play that up in your resume and cover letter to get around the 2-3 years of experience thing. Employers usually use that to weed out the people looking for their first gig.

7. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Yeah, I was a contributor to a national college recruiting site for 13 months. I put "contributor" there instead of staff writer, because I wasn't full-time, but I did gather a good arsenal of clips.

8. WS

WS Member

Many times, employers put three years of experience because they don't want to get resumes from mechanics, etc., who think they can do the job because they love football.

I got my current job at age 22, about eight months after graduation. I had worked for a Web site for a few months and done an internship, and of course the college thing. The advertisement was for three years of experience, but I later found out that number was to weed out people like I described above.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ironically, the mechanics are now glad their sports writer resumes were tossed in the garbage.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Rewrite it. Make yourself a freelance journalist for umpty squat months... that should fill the time element.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I used to think I was fudging to get to five years of "professional" experience in my resume after my last gig.

When I showed my resume to a career counselor at the local one-stop career center and told her about my background in college, I found out I could actually comfortably say I have 10 years of experience without fudging.

If you've had writing internships or you've written for some outlet as a freelancer, you have solid experience.

12. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

f_t, I just added four years of experience to my resume by writing "freelance writer, various publications" for my college years. That gives me six years of "professional experience", if that counts.

BTW, has anybody had any success with job fairs?

Draft saved Draft deleted