1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mb, Jun 24, 2009.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I was thinking the same thing. Fun bad?

Likely not Road House-level fun bad, but up there nonetheless.

2. BRoth

BRoth Member

Saw it yesterday. Surprisingly offensive, even despite what I read in previews.

The fact that this script came from the guys who wrote Star Trek says a lot about the talents of Michael Bay compared to JJ Abrams, I think. Not to say that I expect much from Bay.

What I learned:
    All females in college are smokin' hot, slutty as hell and want to talk, simulate or have sex all the time. Especially with astronomy professors. And especially at Princeton.

I went to a theater that had a large majority of black people. I wasn't sure how to feel by the fact that they LOVED the twin robots which have been at the center of great controversy. My take is that they are unabashedly racist. It's incredible. I hate that Bay is playing this off as nothing. You don't cast, direct and edit characters to talk and act like the robot twins and not have something specific in mind. They knew what they were doing when they were creating those characters. I find it silly that Bay doesn't think it can be racist because (gasp!) they're robots, after all.

Mind you, this is ignoring another complete backhand at black people later on with a snaggletoothed, slack-jawed black man who speaks poorly and his only dream is to have his teeth fixed, if he can save enough money by working at a butcher shop.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I saw it. It was a typical action movie with lots of effects and a bad plot. I don't really get the massive hate.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Visually impressive movie with massive plot holes and possible racism covered up by the fact that we are dealing with aliens? Has Bay been taking lessons from George Lucas? :)

5. BRoth

BRoth Member

Off topic, but worth it. A look at the next "toy movies" after Transformers: http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/meth_toy_movies/

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

By the way OOP, thanks for that pic of Megan Fox.

7. outofplace

Feeling more and more appreciative of not having a reason to see this, aren't you? :)

There are some better ones if you search Google Images with your filters off, but I thought they might be photoshopped. This was the best of the ones I was trusted to really be her.

8. outofplace

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/jivetalking-twin-transformers-raise-race-issues-ap

Story on the controversy about the Autobot twins, who are named Skids and Mudflap.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

For what its worth, Transformers 2 made more than $60 million on its opening day.
    That all but guarantees yet another sequel.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

It was going to happen regardless. Which I'm totally fine with. And I haven't had time to see it yet. Hopefully Fri or Saturday.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No accounting for taste I guess.

12. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Dear Hollywood,

Please stop raping my childhood.

Love,
    Z-Man

XOXOXOX

Draft saved Draft deleted