1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transformers: Dumb, but entertaining (possible mild spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by greenthumb, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Really?! Maybe my expectations were too high... I'll be curious what others think.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I am so sick of the product placement. Those stupid GM commericals are on the air every 20 second.....ITS A GM! I WILL NOT BUY A GENERAL MOTORS PRODUCT! TRIED IT ONCE, WILL NOT DO IT AGAIN. DETROIT SUCKS, GM SUCKS, THE LIONS SUCK(packersfanboy). end of rant. But I will still see this movie. Oh, and no trailer for Optimus Prime? No Soundwave? WTF?

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

In all honesty, I would pay good money to see King Lear performed by various Transformers, but that's probably just me.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

If you're going in looking for a movie that holds true to the cartoons (which I loved) and the comics (which I never read), you might not like it. If you can get past some of the things mentioned, though, it kicks ass.

What's the greatest movie ever? Citizen Kane? Well, it's a lot like that, except with hot chicks, explosions and alien robots that can transform into any manner of motor vehicle. Oh, and comedy. But not too much.

Yeah, I'm going to see it again -- this from someone who has never seen a movie more than once in the theater. And if I ever meet Michael Bay, I'll just give him my wallet.

And as for Soundwave, wiki says there's going to be a sequel and he's going to be in it.

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Elektra was worse than The Punisher. By far. But Catwoman wins as WORST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVER, hands down.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

By the way, and I can't believe I forgot to mention this, the movie included what is going to go down as one of the greatest trailers of all time.

JJ Abrams has a movie coming out on 1.18.08, apparently. No title and there's damn near nothing about it on the web. But the trailer goes like this ...

Big-ass going away party in NY apartment. Huge earthquake hits and power goes out. Folks head to the roof to see a huge fireball engulf lower Manhattan. They go down to the street and see the head of the Statue of Liberty roll past. Fade out to screams.

Web search shows the working title is apparently "Cloverfield." There's more info if you google it, but I'll end the threadjack now.

7. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

The effects guys apparently couldn't work out Soundwave the way they wanted him to look, so yes, he's on deck for a possible sequel. It's like the X-Men movies, you can't break out every character, the movie would get too crowded.

Bumblebee is a LOT cooler as a Camaro than he ever was as a Beetle.

Mizzougrad, I get the feeling that you and <a href=http://www.aintitcool.com>Harry Knowles</a> were expecting to see pretty much the same movie. I have no idea WHY, exactly, you expected something other than what the finished product became, cause I think all the promotional materials did a pretty darn good job of spelling out exactly what this movie was going to be.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The scene in the trailer with Bumblebee getting shot at by the military is almost straight out of the comics....G.I. Joe vs. Transformers, believe it or not. One of the military characters is also taken from that miniseries.

And there was a clip on Yahoo with the writers of the movie...they said Soundwave was initially in their plans, but they decided that Frenzy fit the role they needed the character to play better.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Back to the threadjack
    I did google Cloverfield and I found interweb speculation that it is a monster movie filmed using handheld video cameras. The monster in the movie supposedly resembles the smoke monster from Lost, so some seem to think that it is a Lost tie-in movie that has been kept absolutely secret.
    The conspiracy theorists note that many Lost alumni, are connected to the production.
    EDIT
    God bless YouTube:

Check out the trailer yourself. Watch the end closely and see what rolls by on the street.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Along those lines, I'd like to see the cylons from the original Battlestar Galactica do their version of Glengarry Glen Ross.

[​IMG]

"You are a shithead, Williamson ..."

11. Mizzougrad96

I'd be really wary of any movie being released in January... That's usually when all of the shit films come out since most of the movies being released are the ones that were pre-released in December so they were Oscar eligible...

12. Mizzougrad96

I'm a little stunned so many people have liked this movie so much... Maybe since it's something a lot of people grew up with (I was already past the action figure stage when they became big...) it's OK to be completely mindless...

It's not a bad film, just a dumb one... The effects are incredible. I liked it better than Spiderman 3, which I thought was pure shit...

I'd grade Transformers a C+ or a C...

Draft saved Draft deleted