1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transformers: Dumb, but entertaining (possible mild spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by greenthumb, Jun 29, 2007.

1. greenthumb

greenthumb Member

Me and Mrs. Greenthumb harvested the fruits of befriending the local theater manager last night and caught a sneak preview of 'Transformers' four days before its Monday release.

It's predictably silly, and it's a Michael Bay production so you know there are lots of explosions, crashes, over-the-top fight scenes, etc. But I enjoyed it, there are quite a few laughs (and most are intentional), and the special effects are stunning as advertised.

If you had Transformers growing up, or watched the cartoon, you'll of course be a little more into it than the rest. Knowing some of the story will help you fill in the blanks until a robot finally talks 45 freaking minutes into the movie. Others (like Mrs. Greenthumb, for instance) may feel a bit lost. She liked the movie, and still described it as - and PC police, please don't crucify me here - retarded.

This movie was made for boys between the ages of 13 and 25, but it has enough cool stuff to keep most men interested (like, for example, the cool transforming sound effects or ... ahem ... Megan 'Yow-zah!' Fox and her ridiculous midriff). For the ladies, well ... maybe Shia LeBouf does it for you. I don't know.

Complaints: The fight scenes between robots were just too frantic. It was hard to see what was going on. Also, Megatron - a major character, for those who remember the toys/cartoons - is barely in the movie.

Anyway, if you want a popcorn flick or something to take your kids to, I'd say go for it. If you want art, skip it.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'm going to wear a diaper to this movie.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Ty, I'm not sure I want the answer, but why?

I'm going to see this. I used to watch the show and play with the toys when I was a kid. Which makes me think "Damn, how old am I? Jeeze!"

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Because I'm so excited for this movie, I'll probably shit my pants during the opening credits.

And plus, because they are comfortable and practical.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

This movie lost me when it was revealed that Bumblebee would be a muscle car.

Bumblebee is a VW Bettle. Always has been, always will be.

The AP review I read said Michael Bay may have just made the most expensive GM commercial ever.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah....the product-placement and cross advertising is over the top. And I hate the idea of Bumblebee as anything but a VW Bug...but I still have hope that I'll enjoy this one.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Will someone who doesn't really know the story/show be able to enjoy it?

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I am never one to see a show the day it opens, but you bet you ass I'm going to be in line for this on the 4TH. Is Soundwave in the movie? One thing I never understood was how a tape player could turn into such a big bad ass.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Bumblebee's NOT a VW Bug? I'm out. I'm not seeing this.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No Soundwave. He was initially in the script, but the writers decided that Frenzy worked better in the role.

And as far as the Bumblebee thing, I really do hate it. He's not even the smallest Autobot in this movie (Jazz is).

But if an updated Battlestar Galactica with a female Starbuck can become my favorite show on television, maybe Bumblebee as a Camaro can work.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

saw the making of special on HBO today. It looked really good.
    Lots of things going boom, as to be expected with a Bay movie, and I'm not going in with a bunch of preconceived notions. My little brother had Transformers, but not that many, he was more of a G.I. Joe kid.
    Cobra Commander says Transformers suck.

12. greenthumb

greenthumb Member

The one good thing is that many of the things they changed/left out from the toys/cartoons, they sort of alluded to in the movie. If you see it, you'll get what I mean. For example, they changed Bumblebee to a Camaro, but when he first shows up he's parked next to a yellow VW bug.

Draft saved Draft deleted