1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transfering U-Verse shows off DVR

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Mar 20, 2014.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

We are going to switch TV companies, but I would like to transfer a few concerts and games from my U-Verse DVR to either our external hard drive or my computer.

Any one know where to even start?

2. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Record them to DVD and then rip that to your computer?

3. spikechiquet

Right, but how do you go about doing that?

Assume I am a moron (I am) and tell me from point A to point Z how to get that done.

My DVR has a USB port, but from there...I am lost.

4. There is no way to transfer usable HD or SD digital files off a cable company or AT&T DVR. They are encrypted and copy protected.

You might be able to connect the analog composite output (three connectors, one yellow, one white, one red) to a DVD recorder or a PC's video capture card, but you'll get a terrible downgrade in quality (even when copying standard-def shows). And even then, you might have Macrovision copy protection on those outputs too, rendering the result unwatchable.

Assuming this analog method works at all, you would need:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DR430-DVD-Recorder-Black/dp/B0038JECKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395399041&sr=8-1&keywords=DVD+recorder

or

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-VC500-Touch-Capture-Device/dp/B000VM60I8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395399237&sr=8-1&keywords=video+capture+card

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Boo. I'm trying to do the same thing.

6. spikechiquet

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks Nathan.

What a crock. I'm almost tempted to go back and get a VCR and start recording shows again...at least then I knew I could keep them!!!

7. It won't solve your current problem, but If are switching to a traditional cable company (or FIOS) you can buy a Tivo, which lets you transfer to PC or iPad relatively easily. (Plus you own it, so you have it as long as you have the device.)

Downsides are it's an expensive initial investment (but you'll eventually save compared to cable DVRs) and requires getting a CableCard from the cable company, which can be a total pain in the ass. Also, current Tivos don't work with U-verse or satellite.

8. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

I am pretty sure we've used our DVD recorder to record movies off our DVR. You have to be playing the movie/whatever and record from the tv.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Use a cam corder and video them. If you use a tripod you can just set it up
    and not have to sit there.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It's not happening.

If you want to keep anything, it's probably best to just look up the various concerts/games online (torrent sites, cyberlockers..etc) and download them "illegally."

Draft saved Draft deleted