1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transcription software

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 28, 2011.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Anybody here use or know of software I can use to convert mp3 audio files on my digital voice recorder to text?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've seen two people try to do it with incredibly pricey programs and both failed miserably.

3. Mizzougrad96

Now that you can program your iPhone or iPod touch to play things back at half the speed, I wonder if that would work better.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a time saver. I don't know if decelerated playback would help much.

5. Mizzougrad96

A guy I worked with bought a program for over a grand (granted, this was about three years ago...) and it was billed as the greatest transcription program ever. He hooked it up to a relatively slow-talking NFL coach and it didn't work for shit.

If it won't work for a slow-talking coach, imagine how well it would work for a speed-talking defensive back.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Bottom line is that transcription software is made to transcribe YOUR voice, not the voice of others in interviews you conduct. It's a waste of money unless you want your own thoughts jotted down.

7. Mizzougrad96

Right. It works fine for doctors talking slowly, but not for press conferences or interviews.

8. maberger

maberger Member

is it you speaking? if so, the dragon software is really good. if not, it might work anyway by simply playing the audio and letting it correct to the other voice as if it were your own.

gotta be worth a shot, and better than transcribing by hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted