1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transcription services?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by McNulty, Aug 17, 2008.

1. McNulty

McNulty New Member

Has anyone ever used one? I'm working on a book, and there are going to probably be at least 50 interviews of some length (average 30-60 minutes apiece).

Any idea about the cost? Recommendations of a particular service you used?

If its cost effective, I'd rather spend my time actually working on the manuscript and reporting than transcribing tape after tape.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, and I'll be curious to learn what sort of rates are available.

That said, I had to admit that as much as I HATE transcribing, it's a great self-editing task and really helps me to absorb the material, to the point that the actual outlining and writing goes much faster.

But yeah, 25 to 50 hours of interviews, times however slow you are as a transcriber (I'm very sloooooow), is a grind. Never had to do more than, oh, six hours worth of interviews for any project. Good luck.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

How much are you willing to pay? I've got spare time.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

As someone who uses these for press conferences on a regular basis, I can tell you two things: the quality varies big-time and it's not cheap.

The dominant player in the field is ASAP. They're really good... and really expensive. Expect to pay about $600-$700 a day for their services. Most of the major golf entities (Augusta National, the USGA, the PGA of America), as well as select other tournaments use them.

Another guy we use is this former ASAP employee out of Cleveland. He's cheaper and -- if he does it -- not too bad. He does, however, farm out some of the work to folks who aren't nearly as a good.

PM me for more info.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm with Mikey. I'll have three days off a week, and I'm a transcribing star. Or something.

Assuming they speak clearly.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I love ASAP Sports and would seriously dig a job like that if/when I get smart enough to leave this racket, but sometimes they end up missing really good stuff.

So coach, is it true you killed Jones and ate his brains?[/i]
    COACH STEWART: (Inaudible)

That said, I agree with Joe...when I transcribe stuff, I'll make notes right in the interview for what I want to use in the final product. It comes in very handy, especially when you have a mountain of stuff to plow thru.

Draft saved Draft deleted