1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transcript from Daulerio, Wise, et al at "Where's The Line" symposium

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Nov 3, 2010.

1. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

A.J. Daulerio: I’m kind of walking around New York with an envelope full of cash, more than I’d ever seen, meeting mysterious X-person in a hotel to go see a picture of Brett Favre’s penis (crowd laughs).

http://sportsjournalism.org/uncategorized/wheres-the-line-ethics-panel-transcript/

2. For anyone interested in the discussion but don't want to read an 11,000-word transcript, there is also a video of the entire panel discussion now available:

http://sportsjournalism.org/uncategorized/sports-media-in-the-digital-age-where%E2%80%99s-the-line/

And a story that boils down the main points with Daulerio:

http://sportsjournalism.org/center-news/daulerio-holds-no-regrets-over-ethical-handling-of-favre-story/

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Of course he doesn't regret it. Because of that story my grandmother, who has never once, in her 87 years been on the Internet, has heard of Deadspin.

4. Mediator

Mediator Member

This quote got me.

“I think she had all this stuff on her computer for a while for a reason,” Daulerio said. “So this was going to come out in whatever way is going to benefit her career. … And when we finally came to the final flare that I shot up before I was going to go with this, she said, in my mind, she agreed. But I also know she works for Comcast and The Daily Line. And I’m thinking, ‘Well, this is probably going to be a very, very big story. Why wouldn’t she go to them first?’"

Them's some logical gymnastics to justify doing what he wanted to do. And this has been so great for her career. Can anyone think of any woman who something like this has been really great for?!

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Not quite the same thing, but Erin Andrews' career hasn't suffered since the peep-hole freak violated her privacy. After what she endured, I'm glad she has turned it into various positives.

6. Mediator

Mediator Member

Totally different. Andrews was a victim in that situation.

In what situation has a woman accused a powerful man of harassment or a crime and ended up rich and famous? Everyone talks like this is somehow Jenn Sterger's ticket to the good life and that just never happens. There is no good outcome in this for her.

7. bartlett4a

bartlett4a New Member

You could argue that Sterger was just as much a victim, except of workplace sexual harassment rather than stalking.

Didn't Sterger's Versus show get canned for low viewership? Obviously her resulting fame, or at least name recognition, didn't really translate into career success.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I think that show was already on the chopping block before it happened. What kind of numbers could Versus expect for that show, honestly?

She's going to make some bank suing the Jets. That'll be a quick settlement.

9. Mediator

Mediator Member

She could sue the Jets if they facilitated getting her number to him, something they have said they didn't do.

And if she did sue the Jets, it would be extremely difficult to get another job in football, possibly sports. And I'm sure she wouldn't get a lot of love letters from fans. If she got any money from this, odds are it wouldn't be a ton (remember that friend who came out and said she and Favre used to text? That would mitigate any amount) and it would likely cut off avenues to future employment in the field she want to pursue.

Seriously, I'm trying to find one woman a harassment suit has worked out well for. Anucha Browne Sanders? Lisa Olson? I can't speak for them but I doubt they were laughing all the way to the bank. It was a painful process and they were publicly smeared.

Draft saved Draft deleted