1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trampling on the grave of newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Feb 27, 2009.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Am I being too sensitive in being really ticked off by this?

I was first referred to this by Rob Neyer, a newly minted member of the BBWAA who agreed with the guy!!!!

Obviously, I think it's incredibly narrow-minded and elitist to think that all of those statistical analysis types could get by on their own without any professional journalists producing the other 90 percent of the world's baseball coverage.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

"Improving the quality of baseball knowledge available?"

"A deep well of talent that is advancing baseball knowledge for everyone?"

"Anyone who wants to educate themselves on the game?"

Good grief. I like what it feels like inside a ballpark, what it smells like, the sound of the bat hitting the ball, the way the grass looks. And when I'm not in a ballyard, I like TV/radio announcers and newspaper writers who make me feel like I am. One of Boswell's old books was "Why Time Begins On Opening Day." No it doesn't. It began Wednesday, first spring game on the tube.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

When Boswell wrote it, TV started on opening day, too.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes. What he said.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Outside of The Hardball Times, I haven't heard of any of those guys. And the ones I do know are way past their primes.

Seriously: They need to not take themselves so seriously. Neyer doesn't. James doesn't, either.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This is why I heart you in the most platonic way possible.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Gawd, Andruw Jones in his prime didn't play this shallow.

And thankfully one voice of reason, though sad, in the comments:

I am a baseball writer who has recently lost his job, and I find this idea to be pretty offensive. While I will grant you that in areas of stastical analysis, the best work is done by the bloggers and others that you mention, there is much more than that to providing the full story for fans.

Do me a favor and try to go a week without reading a single thing written by a professional journalist. No ESPN.com, no MLB.com, no AP, no newspaper web sites.

It would be an awfully long winter for you guys in between box scores.

Just because you don’t pick up an actual newspaper doesn’t mean you still aren’t relying on professional journalists.

8. playthrough

Not terribly offensive, but it does reiterate the stereotypes about saber-seamheads.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

That voice of reason is... uh.... me :)

10. playthrough

Hey, no outing!

(and hang in there)

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I was thinking about the baseball sabermetric community as an example of how reporters can still do their work and get paid, though, the other day. Baseballprospectus.com is by no means the best stathead work out there, but they do seem to be making money and employing people.

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Well I did suggest in my OP that perhaps I was being too sensitive. The thing just struck a nerve with me.

Draft saved Draft deleted