1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Training a Puppy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Sep 29, 2008.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Great advice. Thanks a lot.

Have already started reading up on crate training and potty training.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Crate training is the way to go . Everytime you take puppy out of crate be sure to take them outside,

As far as crate size buy largest needed and make smaller with Milk cartons that you can remove as dog gets bigger.

Keep the crate in a main area of house so they don't become territorial.

Whenever you see puppy sniffing that it tell tail sign they need to go to bathroom. Pick them up and take them out.

I use invisable fence for my dogs - there is a shock element but once they get one "correction " that is pretty much it for the shock. The tradeoff is that they have free reign of the yard to roam.

When puppy is eating mess with them a bit - pull their food away ect. they are then less apt to be too protective when eating and bite someone . some dogs can get pretty testy

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's how 21 trained Boom, so it must work.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Still have to use the shock collar, sometimes, but only during Jets games.

Actually, Boom trained my puppy, and I have never had a minute of trouble with her. Be consistent, use the same routine and the same words over and over. Don't let the kids change the routine; the puppy has to know there's only one way to do something.

You're still going to have accidents, don't freak out. Get some good pet cleanup spray, like Nature's Wonder.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Enjoy your puppy, but leave room for dessert.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

why are you so evil?

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I blame society.

Draft saved Draft deleted