1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Train travel

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

How long after a trip did it take for him to stop wobbling?

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Nu-cular. It's pronounced nu-cular. [/Homer Simpson]

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Please share a few stories.

4. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Lots of stupid stuff, like the equipment is broken, specifically the coffee equipment. He said the worst thing he has to do is tell people who have been rockin and rollin all night that there's no coffee. And the paperwork he has to fill out is immense. They have to do inventory after every meal and every single thing has to be accounted for. There is no "waste", which is kinda scary when you think about the item that accidentally falls on the floor.

He's only been working that route since February and he can't get used to sleeping on the train and the turn around in NYC can be less than 24 hours especially if they arrive into Grand Central late. But the pay is pretty good, as is the benefits.

Next time I talk to him I'll get more good stories.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I love trains. I travelled all over Europe by train back in the 70's and before I die, this is the one train trip I want to take: Vancouver to Halifax on Via Rail. 5800 kilometres in first class. Gourmet meals, sleeper berth.

http://www.thestar.com/Travel/article/449226

Aboard via rail's Silver and Blue–I knew I would get little sympathy when I announced my latest adventure, my Boston Marathon, my Everest: to eat my way across Canada.

For one, my chosen mode of travel was a little too posh: VIA Rail's famous Silver and Blue transcontinental service from Vancouver to Halifax.

As my mother said, "That's like a cruise ship isn't it? Only it goes over land?"

Just me & HC. I would be the happiest man on earth.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In the 1970s or your 70s?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Very fucking funny.:)

Worst train trip I took was from Trieste, Italy to Belgrade, then part of Yugoslovia. I think it was about an eight hour ride.

Had a vicious fever and my g/f at the time just kept feeding me orange slices.

A wonderful old lady sitting across from us kept patting my hand.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd love to make that trip and do the Blue Train in across South Africa.

9. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

Amtrak trains don't go into Grand Central Station.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Nope, Penn Station. Which means you can get wherever you need to go without even going outside until you get there if you want. :)

11. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Oops, my bad!

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

My wife and I took the train once on a trip we do often and where we usually drive. It was a nice change of pace, but driving is faster, and Amtrak offers one departure a day each way, so you're pretty much stuck with their schedule. Every time we're planning the trip we look at taking the train, but it really makes no sense to for us.

Draft saved Draft deleted