1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Train Travel

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I need to take the kids out to see my folks and I'm considering Amtrak. Me, a 6-year-old and a 4-year-old on a train for about 20 hours. If I can get a good deal on a sleeper car, is that idea completely insane?

I think the girls would think seeing the country that way is cool, but if things aren't going well we could be trapped for hours upon hours. I'm not sure if it's better or worse than dragging them through airports.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You gonna stop and see Cousin Patty?
    (tip of the cap if anyone gets this)

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've never done anything close to a 20-hour trip, but my experience riding Amtrak with my kids has been outstanding. They can get up and move around a lot more than on an airplane, seats are more comfortable, the air isn't as dry. We've done a couple of 4-hour trips with a 6- and a 3-year-0ld and it's been super easy.

I recommend the Red Cap service to make it a little easier. It's free (though you'll probably want to tip the server), you get early boarding privileges and they carry your bags for you so you can focus on the kids.

Pro tip: Bring food or visit the cafe car early. It often sells out of certain foods.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

He doesn't have a Cousin Paddy.

"You lied to me!"

Chef2 likes this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Amtrak (and trains in general) is a great mode of travel. I always take the train from Rensselaer to Gotham. So relaxing to chill for a few hours with a laptop and the views of the Hudson. I love to drive but sometimes it's much easier to let someone else get you there.

7. Jake_Taylor

I've done it solo on shorter trips and love riding a train. If the price is right I'm thinking it can't be much worse than taking kids on a plane, plus it should be memorable for them.

8. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

About 30 years ago my mom took my sister and I (who were about the same age as your kids) from Galesburg, Illinois to Dallas aboard Amtrak. She still swears it was the worst trip of her life.
    We did not have a sleeper car though, so that would probably be worth the investment.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I always take the train between New York and Boston. There is no good way to travel to and from those two cities, but Amtrak is the least bad. But 20 hours is a long time. If you can't get a sleeper car, don't do it.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Jake, have you checked the price? I would think 3 tickets on a sleeper would be about the same as an airline trip.

11. Jake_Taylor

There is an Amtrak rep supposed to call me. I’ve been told there is a deal to be had, but I’m not doing it unless it’s cheaper than plane tickets. Flying sucks because my parents live a couple hours away from either KC or Wichita and neither is cheap to fly to from here.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You also need to consider what's in and around the train station vs. the airport. I know some cities have the train and bus stations in the same large depot and it's like the third circle of hell. Bad parts of the city, not a lot of rental car facilities around, etc. Airports, for all their faults, at least have rental cars readily available and themselves are relatively safe. Even if there's a price difference, ask yourself if it's enough to make up for any inconvenience you might encounter once there.

I Should Coco and Vombatus like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted