1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trailer Park Boys: The Movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This was on last night on Comedy Central (from 1 to 3, with all the swearing left in) and I was kind of intrigued by it.
    I did a Google search on it and it looks like it's somewhat popular in Canada. It's set in Nova Scotia and because of the different clothes, cars and music (does anybody really still listen to April Wine?), I have a hard time telling if it takes place in the present or in the 80s.
    Or is Nova Scotia a little behind the times?
    Jr, Flash, other Canadians, do you watch the show and what do you think of it?
    And what's up with Bubbles? He's one of the strangest characters I've ever seen in any movie or TV show.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I think it peaked a few years ago, way before the movie came out. Bubbles is still pretty damn cool, though. Here's some trivia for you - Ellen Page (Juno) used to play Jim Lahey's daughter who had a bit of a crush on Ricky. :)

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

P.S. Yes, it takes place in the present day. But the fashions, hair, vehicles...they live in a trailer park, after all!

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pallister made a movie? :D :D :D

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have been a faithful viewer since day one but as JJ says, it's best days are probably behind it. It went from being a cult fave to having Ricky, Julian and Bubbles throwing out the first pitch at a Jays game or presenting at the Junos or whatever.

Alex Lifeson (shaddup!) was on a memorable episode and Canuck rock legends Gord Downie (Tragically Hip) and Hugh Dillon (Headstones, now a big-shot actor on Flashpoint) appear in the movie as the cops who bust the boys after they knock over the ATM.

And Lahey is the greatest drunk in the history of TV.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

The first- or second-year episode where Sam the vet ran against Lahey for trailer park supervisor is still a scream. Lahey is hammered and Sam trips out on shrooms right before the televised debate on community cable. And the episode's title says it all: "Jim Lahey Is A Drunk Bastard." Good times, friends.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Unlike Huggy, I'm not a huge fan.

However, speaking of Hugh Dillon, I love both Flashpoint is and Durham County. Plays a cop in both shows.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Dillon's best role was as fictional Canuckistan punk rock legend Joe Dick in the movie Hard Core Logo. The Headstones were a terrific band too, too band they probably won't be back with Dillon as the singer.

There were so many great TPB episodes in the early years and anything with J-Roc in it is a riot. The one where he gets caught pulling his goalie is the only one I have burned to DVD. It is amazing.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

That one was priceless too: "It could happen to you, 'cause it happened to me!"

And when I think of the Headstones, I always come back to one song:

"Went down to the cemetery, looking for love
    Got there and my baby was buried, I had to dig her up."

;D

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great, great song. Their shit kicking cover of "Tweeter And The Monkey Man" is awesome too.

And J-Roc was gettin' changed....

Draft saved Draft deleted