1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tragic loss for Ryan family.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Apparently, Pakistani authorities aren't so sure it was a suicide.

http://www.dawn.com/2008/01/29/top12.htm

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I have to admit that this news leaves me speechless. And I'm rarely speechless. There's nothing more I can add. Bob has always been one of the good guys and I can certainly understand his devastation. I can only offer him my condolences, small as that must be in the overall scheme of things.

3. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Tragic. No one deserves to lose a son or daughter, especially not the stand-up guy Ryan undoubtedly is, as I've never met him.

I respect Mr. Ryan immensely -- my prayers go out to him and his family.

4. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

This is devastating to read.

Hondo, you have my condolences as well.

5. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I lost my brother in August to suicide ... still so hard to write or say. He was really one of the good guys of the world -- nice, smart, funny. These past several months have been extremely hard, as you might imagine, but the good news is that eventually I was able to laugh again, I was able to think of my memories of him and smile again (even if I'm choked up writing this). So I can certainly sympathize with Ryan's devastation, but I'm confident he and his family will find brighter days ahead. In the meantime, kudos to him for speaking honestly and candidly about this. I remember visiting some Web sites for people who had lost a loved one to suicide right after my brother's death, and they talked a lot about how as survivors we would always be faced with a stigma. I am proud to say I've never felt that way from my family and friends, and I think having people like Bob talk honestly about these things is an important step to further reducing the stigma around this issue.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know I cannot help him, but I pray he and his family has people around him to help them through these times.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dam horrible story. Does make you wonder if there was more to it.

8. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

update with more quotes from bob:
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/01/30/reports_vary_on_cause_of_diplomats_death/

9. That's a very strange story.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

KP: KP, you and I and a couple hundred of folks could tell that same story over and over.

He's a gentleman.

11. Mira

Mira Member

Many prayers, thoughts and support go out to Mr. Ryan and his entire family.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Indeed it is. Having recently seen Charlie Wilson's War it really makes you wonder if there was any CIA connection.

Draft saved Draft deleted