1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tragic accident.............

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

We covered a horrific accident out here this morning......

2 vehicle crash on icy highway........woman from another vehicle gets out to check on people in other cars to make sure they are alright......semi comes along.........

yep.

still waiting on next of kin.

I was walking in front of the semi, when one of the guys I was walking with (hiway patrolman)......."Get him (coroner)out here, we got a code black"

I happen to turn my head to the underside of the truck, and all I see is skin and blood.

I may not be going to sleep for a couple days.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Good luck with all that, seriously... :'(

3. statrat

statrat Member

That is awful. I got pressed into news duty with some ice storm stuff as well, but nothing like that. Hope you never have to see that again.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So sorry you have to have that kind of emotional gut-punch so closely to the holidays. Just hope you're OK and that you feel better tomorrow.

And to all the victims involved, my thoughts.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The only possible way I can think of putting a positive spin on something so incomprehensibly horrifying: a reminder of how fragile life is, and how fortunate we are to be here and to have the ones we love.

God bless...

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I couldn't imagine having to go through something like that. Just be glad you're OK.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Wow. Sympathies for those involved, and for you, Chef.

I've always found that a coping mechanism for dealing with tragedy when you've witnessed the gruesome side of it is knowledge: finding out everything you can about the situation, the people involved, any resolutions. For me it helps to process what has gone on. Hopefully you can find some peace by doing your job.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tough to see, no doubt. I remember going to a death scene for the first time, seeing a dead body for the first time, while working overseas. My only advice is to not block it out. Let your emotions run their course. Talk to anyone who will listen. If it moved you to the point of tears, cry. We're also here to listen.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

My first lesson on the fragility and randomness of life occured this week in 1988. Six kids from my school, including two who lived one street away from me, celebrated the last day of school prior to Christmas break by going to the mall. Their car skidded out on the icy highway, spun around, hit a barrier and sent the kids in back flying out the window.

They all hit the barrier separating the road from the steep hill below. One girl sliced her leg on the barrier and almost lost the leg. One boy sliced his leg on the barrier and lost the leg. And one girl died.

I'll never forget my sister's best friend running down the street screaming "DID YOU HEAR SHAWN DIED??"

I barely knew the girl, but it was the first time someone I regularly saw at school died. (A kid in my elementary school was killed in a small plane crash years earlier) And to happen two days before Christmas...just awful.

I'll never forget the first day of school after Christmas break. One of the kids who wasn't physically injured was in my homeroom. What do you say to him? "Hi Brian" worked pretty well.

There was a moment of silence prior to first period that lasted about two minutes. Couldn't hear a peep. As it ended, our English teacher--a widower who was pushing 80--took off his glasses, wiped his eyes, put his glasses back on and began the lesson. That sight has always stuck with me: An older man who has seen his share of sadness silently reduced to tears.

The most random thing? We were supposed to have a full day of school that Friday but city-wide complaints led the superintendent to announce on monday we'd have a half-day Friday. If we'd had a full day Friday...

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Crap like this is another reason I'm glad I cover sports. I had a hard enough time seeing stitches removed from my kid's split noggin. I'd be barfing all over the road if I came across a scene like this one.

Try some Nyquil if needed, chef.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's a tough one... sorry you had to be there, brother...

12. goodness, that sounds absolutely horrifying. Sorry you had to see that.

Draft saved Draft deleted