1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tragedy in LA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SlickWillie71, Sep 12, 2008.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2008/09/engineer_texted_with_teen.php

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I guess my question involves how these things are set up. It seems insane to me there would be one light to tell a train to stop, because it takes those things a while to power down. I'd think there would have to be multiple lights along the way, all red, to tell him to slow it down. But I don't know that for sure.

Either way, an absolute horror.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Did he put the brakes on at all? I know it's impossible to stop a train quickly, but just curious if both trains were going full speed when they hit.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn. As a self-admitted serial texter, I'm in no position to speak. ... But that is beyond stupid.

And I had the same thought IJAG did. I have a hard time believing there was one stop light that the engineer just missed because his eyes were on his phone. Seems like there would be a series of signals, and enough time for a large train to slow down safely.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm with you, word for word.

6. imjustagirl

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesum. wht r u doing l8r?

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Nope. When they see one red signal, that means stop. The signals usually run by "blocks" and if it's red, it means there's an obstruction in the next block. They're supposed to be watching these very closely. They usually also radio the conductor that there's a red signal and the conductor confirms.

The texting deal is still unconfirmed, btw.

9. imjustagirl

How long are the "blocks?" Because it has to take some time to slow that beast down.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It depends. Out in the middle of the desert, they might be five miles. In Chatsworth, not that long. But if they see a red signal, it should give them plenty of time to stop. This guy just never saw it.

11. imjustagirl

Well, I think that plan needs to be re-examined then. Not to excuse him if the texting thing turns out to be true...but other things can happen that would cause someone to miss one light.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

I just hope that that's not a built-in excuse for equipment failure. I fear they'd use him as a scapegoat since you can't defend yourself after you've been scraped up with a spatula.

Draft saved Draft deleted