1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Traffic safety holy grail: Zero deaths

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 19, 2013.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Lowest percentage of deaths since, well, ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year

List of seat belt law enactments by state:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_belt_legislation_in_the_United_States

Only a moron would think requiring seat belts makes for a bad society.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If a bunch of beltless rebels go swan diving through windshields and drive up insurance rates, damn right I'm being victimized.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But these people survive, and all of a sudden, burgers and fries...POOF!

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Seriously, we're talking about mandatory seatbelts in 2013? Seriously?

If the guy in the seat behind me isn't wearing a seatbelt and someone rear ends me, that idiot comes crashing through my seat and may end up killing me.

Victimless crime? Please.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Next thing you know, someone is going to attempt to deny my First Amendment rights by outlawing texting while driving.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes, seriously. Someone started a thread on here. They forgot to check with the czar censorship committee for acceptable thread topics.

It's a bit interesting.

More than half the U.S. states only require seat belts of front seat passengers. Using your "please" rationale , shouldn't the requirement be the other way around -- required for back seat passengers, but not front seat passengers?

If it's about someone crashing through your seat and killing you (we don't make our car seats out of tissue paper, but maybe things are different where you are), rationally, by making the person in the front seat into an immovable target, I would guess you are putting him or her more at risk, the way you have reasoned this all out.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Skimmed this.

Did he take into account the increase over the period examined in the number of miles driven?

Ie., if the death toll per 100K remains the same while the number of driver miles doubles, then seat belt law may be effective.

I see these same arguments over bicycle and motorcycle helmet use, too.

But if you fall off your motorcycle - without a helmet and without adequate insurance - and spend 40 years on a ventilator at my expense, how is your bad choice "victimless?"

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) I don't know. I haven't really looked that closely at his methodology. I just had seen his name come up in the past on this and I fished that out. What I do know is that when people say "It's common sense," or they link to traffic statistics and make correlation implies causation conclusions, the way for example TigerVols did in a post, it very often ignores any number of other factors that may have contributed to a statistical outcome. That is actually usually the case. I also know that if you force behaviors on people to regulate perceived risk, there is a good chance you are going to change the amount of risk they are willing to take. Adams is suggesting that has been the result of seat belt laws, based on statistical analysis.

2) People here are hung up on the words "victimless crime." It's not a term I made up. It is what people use to distinguish between things we criminalize because they cause a direct harm to someone else (i.e. -- you are free to live your life, until you start stepping on my toes) and things we criminalize for other reasons. For example, people will often say that drugs or prostitution are victimless crimes -- things we have criminalized without there being a "Joe robbed (or physically hurt, etc.) Fred rationale for them being illegalized. They say the same thing about seat belt laws. Taking the steps you did beyond the social contract -- the 40 years on a ventilator at public expense -- rationale for regulating behaviors, you can allow your government to arbitrarily regulate everything and anything with a claim of societal benefit. I can't think of a place that doesn't potentially end, with nearly every aspect of our lives being subject to rule by someone.

In the grand scheme of things, yes, people are right. ... This is a relatively minor infringement on people's lives. But it's still worth thinking about why we drive up costs for people by dictating behaviors like this, whether the behavior we dictate really even has the effect people assume is "common sense," and the door we've opened allowing our government to regulate our lives in ways that get away from the primacy on individual rights -- and distrust of being ruled over -- that was sort of central to maintaining a democratic republic.

My posts have just pointed those things out. Somehow -- even though I didn't respond -- right off the bat, I was being quoted on here and responded to as if I suggested that people shouldn't wear seat belts.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I love how the pony is in the car seat.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Hey Rags,

Honest question for you... Lets say I choose not to wear a belt. It's ok for me not to belt my kids, right? The government can't tell me how to parent, right?

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

On anything more advanced than a screwdriver, haven't we all experienced equipment failures with the latest and greatest technologies? I don't want this thing going haywire at 70 mph.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The 'get-the-guvvmint-out-of-my-life' squad is working on that, too.

Unless we have the right to send our kids hurtling head first through the windshield, tyranny has won.

Draft saved Draft deleted