1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Traffic safety holy grail: Zero deaths

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Lawyers will eventually screw up the autopilot car.

Just imagine the first lawsuit when a user sues the manufacturer for an autopilot-induced death.

And even if you have all kinds of warning stickers on the dashboard, and have users sign waivers, someone and their lawyer will STILL sue and eventually win.

The hot coffee lawsuit will be one of the reasons America eventually goes the way of the Roman Empire and the dodo bird.

I've seen warning stickers on the driver's side window of rental cars in California. The things are about the size of two index cards. When I saw the label, my first thought was - we can thank the existence of this sticker to lawyers.

smh

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, the Anarchy-For-Me teabaggers are busy rolling those laws back, too.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Anarchy for Me Teabaggers will be my next fantasy team name

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The term "victimless crime" refers to things that have been made illegal but don't DIRECTLY threaten the rights of any other individual.

Your "children are victims if their parents are killed because they don't wear a seat belt" doesn't fit anywhere within the traditional social contract. Our government was actually set up quite differently than that. We put a primacy on individual rights, and set out to only put limits on people to prevent them from directly harming others. That has traditionally been the basis for our laws.

Using your "the children of people who do such and such might be affected by. ..." rationale for telling people how they have to behave, what is stopping you from creating a state that controls every aspect of our lives.

The slippery slope you are talking about IS related to the fact that it is a victimless crime. That simply means that if you and I have a car accident, the harm to YOU from that accident is not dependent on whether I was wearing a seat belt or not.

Out of curiousity, do you support universal and strict drug laws. ... for the sake of the children of potential drug addicts?

You can take it anywhere. ... Do you advocate banning cigarettes, for the sake of the children who might be orphaned (take out any secondhand smoke arguments)? Should the police be allowed to knock on your door to make sure you are not engaging in any behavior that might kill you, to protect your children?

5. dooley_womack1

Again, driving is a privilege, not a right, and it's been largely been mutually agreed to, in an evolving of Rosseau, that trying to save lives by putting a pain to not wearing your seat belt is part of the privilege. But keep on fighting the man, you rebel you.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Frankly, the thought of a driverless automobile scares me to death. I cannot imagine not having full control over what my car does and where it goes.

7. dooley_womack1

I'd gladly let it parallel park and back up for me.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And this is the key point.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

One positive though. They would completely eradicate drunk driving.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You have never been in a NYC cab, I guess.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, it will be total anarchy if we let people ride motorcycles without helmets. ::)

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

But who could liberals force to wear a seat belt if there's no one in the driver's seat?

Draft saved Draft deleted