1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Traffic safety holy grail: Zero deaths

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Thanks, dools.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what you posted. Many other friends and family menbers would most definitely be hurt by your loss. But others involved in the crash would not be hurt by your not wearing a seat belt unless you want to argue that not wearing the seat belt was the cause of the crash. Highly unlikely. (Just trying to keep you from overextending your point.) :)

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Totally agree, but that's not what's really in play here. Taken to this extreme, this line of thought would justify taking all sorts of your choices (freedoms) away from you because, after all, no man is an island.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but a seat belt law is a common-sense thing; opposing it is kind of an Asperger's reaction to any type of encroachment upon your space

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, and can certainly be regulated under the "driving is a privilege, not a right" standard.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I know two women who caused accidents which were fatal for the other driver. Distracted driving in both cases.

No, their lives weren't ruined by their actions, but I know they would reject your notion that they weren't affected.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Don't read more into my post than what I had there, which was that that line of thought (justification) can lead to lots of places I doubt many/most of us would want to go. I support laws that mandate the wearing of seat belts.

8. old_tony

And seat belts or lack of them caused the accident? Otherwise i don't get what you're saying. No one is suggesting that auto accidents don't cause problems. Did the other drivers die because the women weren't wearing seat belts? Because they weren't wearing seat belts?

This portion of the conversation started with someone saying that not wearing seat belts is a victimless crime because the one not wearing seat belts is the one who pays for the decision. No one said that causing crashes was a "victimless" crime.

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

A family of four headed out for a day at the beach would starve to death at 0 mph before they could find sustenance... :)

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

How far away are we from affordable cars that don't require driving? I would love to program in my destination and go to sleep.

11. old_tony

:D

12. old_tony

Man, I would pay a lot for that convenience.

Draft saved Draft deleted