1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trading Kevin Love

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Jul 21, 2014.

?

Should the Minnesota Timberwolves trade forward Kevin Love?

Poll closed Jul 31, 2014.
  1. No, the Timberwolves should keep Love as the cornerstone of the franchise.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Yes, the Timberwolves should trade Love to Cleveland for Wiggins, Bennett and draft pick(s).

15 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Yes, the Timberwolves should trade Love, but not to Cleveland.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Maybe, the Timberwolves should stand pat for now, but consider a trade later.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but nobody has ever compared Wiggins to Anthony Bennett, except you.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but you asserted in broad terms that "rookies" retain that perception. You did not limit the claim to only Wiggins. Bennett is just one of many examples over the years that disprove your contention, I chose him to make the point merely because he happens to be the most recent No. 1 overall pick to play in the League.

This whole line of argument of yours that Wiggins can't lose trade value through disappointing/poor play is nonsense. Of course he can. Any rookie can. Players lose trade value through crappy rookie seasons all the time. Now how poor Wiggins would have to play for that to happen is debatable, it might take an extra high level of crappy, but suggesting in absolute terms that it's an impossibilty is asinine.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Rookies never get hurt either.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Comparing someone like Wiggins to an average rookie like Bennett is dumb in this conversation, simply because Wiggins is not an average rookie, but I'll play your game. Say he has an abysmal start like Bennett did a year ago. Wiggins is still the same bargaining chip he is now -- a world of upside that most rookies simply do not have. And that upside still commands a certain price. He doesn't go from ace to middle reliever for trade purposes in two months, because his upside as a potential franchise player commands it, presuming he's healthy, of course.

Lost in all this -- Chris Paul went from New Orleans to the Clippers for Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, Al-Farouq Aminu and (Minnesota's) unprotected 2012 first-round pick.

Right now, Wiggins, Bennett, Waiters and a No. 1 pick for Love sure seems like a sweet deal for the Timberwolves if that's what the framework for that trade would be.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

1. I did not compare Wiggins to Bennett.

2. It is not my game, instead it is yours. You're the one who established the parameters by claiming your post applied to "rookies" in general, and not just Wiggins. I merely pointed out one of many possible examples that seems to disprove it. Now if what you actually meant to say, as a loyal KU fanboy, was that Wiggins alone is immune from a decline in trade value, but not other rookies, then you should have written it that way.

And your claim that Wiggins can be as abysmal as Bennett without it impairing his trade value is nothing but your unsupported opinion. There's nothing to back it up. So the only response needed to refute it is "I disagree."

Draft saved Draft deleted