1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trading Kevin Love

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Jul 21, 2014.

?

Should the Minnesota Timberwolves trade forward Kevin Love?

Poll closed Jul 31, 2014.
  1. No, the Timberwolves should keep Love as the cornerstone of the franchise.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Yes, the Timberwolves should trade Love to Cleveland for Wiggins, Bennett and draft pick(s).

15 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Yes, the Timberwolves should trade Love, but not to Cleveland.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Maybe, the Timberwolves should stand pat for now, but consider a trade later.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, that's the theory. When you get an all-star player, try to build around him. But it make take a while before the team becomes a contender.

Right now, I think Love is better than Wiggins or Bennett. How good will either of those guys become down the road is anyone's guess. That's what has me on the fence on whether this is a good deal or not for the Wolves.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

After having suffered through Evan Turner last season, believe me, I've thought of this.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Right now, of those offers, I would want Wiggins, Bennett and a No. 1 pick for the Wolves.

Will the same offers be on the table a month into the regular season?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Tom Gugliotta agrees.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It will either happen before the season or not until right around the trade deadline.

I think the only reason Minnesota hasn't pulled the trigger is if they're negotiating which first-rounder they're going to get, or maybe they don't want Bennett.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

What makes you think Love is still gonna be there for the picking at the trade deadline? Sorry, but if the Cavs can't work out a deal, then Golden State, Boston or someone else eventually will. Minnesota is not gonna let their only valuable asset walk away for nothing in return.

And "if Wiggins is struggling" what makes you think they'd still be able to make the deal on the same terms at mid-season? That info would likely change the terms and considerations for both sides, not just the Cavs.

And, continuing the "some people think this is fantasy basketball" theme echoed earlier, I'm surprised how some seem to think the Cavs can add Love at the trade deadline and still have the same team in the playoffs as if he were acquired now. You know, basketball ain't like baseball where you can just plug a player and batting average into a position, instead it takes awhile for a group of players to develop chemistry and learn how to play together most efficiently. A February-acquired Love is not going to fit nearly as well with Lebron in May/June as one who's been playing with him all season long.

There are plenty of reasons why the "just wait til the trade deadline" rationale being tossed around really does not work.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is pure lunacy. Don't even know how one comes to this conclusion, do you think Love gets so many boards merely by stepping in front of teammates?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The Bulls didn't need Rodman, other guys would have just grabbed those boards.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm confused because the standing in front of his teammates part is meaningless for the point I'm trying to make. On the Cavs , he would bring down X rebounds. If he's not on the Cavs, someone on the cavs (maybe not always the PF, just one of the 5 starters on the floor) will bring down a percentage of the rebounds that Love would have gotten if playing for the Cavs (LeBron picking up a higher share of available rebounds than he would if Love were on the floor because he's playing more 4 and attacking the glass more whatever position he's in/Wiggins, an insanely athletic 3 or 2 grabbing the boards, Thompson grabbing some of those boards) would pick up a percentage of those X rebounds - and I think it's a fairly high percentage. My thought is that there won't be a huge difference in the percentage of available rebounds that the Cavs get with Love and that they get without love and while holding on to Wiggins/Thompson/Bennett.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It sounds like you're saying each team is going to get a certain number of rebounds and it doesn't matter who the five guys are out there to get the rebounds.

Or in other words, rebounding isn't a skill.

11. amraeder

Yes. They would have. 100% of them would have been grabbed by someone .... just not always wearing a Bulls uniform :D. (OK maybe 1 or 2 would have rolled out of bounds). But even a shitty player would have grabbed SOME of those rebounds for the Bulls. Not all would have been lost to another team. And other Bulls who weren't Rodman's replacement might have crashed the glass more and picked up a more boards than they did with Rodman around. It's just a question of how the rebounds Rodman's not grabbing would be distributed. And again the main argument is the Cavs roster without Love and with the pieces they'd likely have to give up, grabs roughly the same percentage of available boards as they would with Love and without the pieces they'd give up in that trade.

12. amraeder

It's a skill, but SOMEONE's got to get a rebound and even a team with only shitty rebounders won't get 0% of the rebounds. So some is luck and some is skill.

There's also diminishing returns. Even if you have 5 GREAT rebounders only 1 person can get any given rebound. The Cavs were right about league average in rebound rate last year (getting 50.9 percent of available rebounds. The best team, OKC got 52.2%).
    The Cavs should be significantly improved in this area with the addition of LeBron, a healthy V, and a freak athlete in Wiggins. So they project as a top-of-the-league rebounding team without Love. Adding another rebounder gives you diminished returns. Loves rebounding would be a bigger reason to get him on LAL (worst rebounding team in the league) than for this Cavs team. It doesn't hurt. But it only helps at the very margins.

Draft saved Draft deleted