1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trading Kevin Love

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Jul 21, 2014.

?

Should the Minnesota Timberwolves trade forward Kevin Love?

Poll closed Jul 31, 2014.
  1. No, the Timberwolves should keep Love as the cornerstone of the franchise.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Yes, the Timberwolves should trade Love to Cleveland for Wiggins, Bennett and draft pick(s).

15 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Yes, the Timberwolves should trade Love, but not to Cleveland.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Maybe, the Timberwolves should stand pat for now, but consider a trade later.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Recent reports indicate that several NBA teams have an interest in trading for Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Love. Love is an all-star and one of the best players in franchise history.

One published report had the Cleveland Cavaliers offering Andrew Wiggins (not yet signed), Anthony Bennett and a future first-round draft choice to the Timberwolves in exchange for Love.

Should the Timberwolves trade him? Try to resign him? Look for a better deal?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Only if they can get a strong white player in return to soothe the rage of their message-board-thread-creating fans.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'd luv to see him alongside Bogut, Curry, Thompson, Iggy but have my doubts that's going to happen without giving up Klay.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's a no-brainer. You aren't doing anything with Love this year if you are the T-wolves. You actually have a decent base for the future with Wiggins and Bennett.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They'd be stupid NOT to trade him for Wiggins. They'll never get a better deal.

Cavs would be stupid to trade Wiggins for him anytime before February.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The real question is how little Cleveland or Golden State is going to give up. Minnesota has to trade him and the Cavs and Warriors don't want to give up Wiggins or Thompson if they don't have to. Why would either budge now? They have leverage and the T-wolves have basically none.

Cleveland and Golden State can both afford to start the season with the rosters they have and wait for Minnesota to get nervous and take a lesser deal. They only reason for Cleveland to offer up both Wiggins, Bennett and picks now is if LeBron is playing GM and getting too antsy to play it cool.

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been any talk about Joe Harris in the Cleveland-Minnesota trade rumors. He's kinda a poor man's Klay Thompson.

7. Jake is a writer

Jake is a writer New Member

It seems like Minnesota keeps putting themselves in this position. They get one great player and surround him by a bunch of scrubs. The same thing happened with Kevin Garnett, obviously.

Do you fault the GM, or is it just how life goes for a small-market team?

It seems like Portland has done a decent job of drafting and filling the roster with key free agents. Picking up Robin Lopez was a good move, for instance.

If Love wants out, he'll leave the minute he hits free agency. They should try to get some value back for him and start anew and actually try to field a decent team besides just having one really good player.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When you have three top-18 picks in a pretty decent draft, use them on three point guards -- the best of whom you immediately turn around and trade -- and pass up a superstar (who also happened to be the best player still available as rated by most every draftnik)with two of those picks, that's not life in a small market. That's a dumbass GM.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Garnett wasn't really the same situation. He didn't really start putting up superstar numbers until his fourth or fifth year and he signed a long-term, big money deal with Minnesota after his rookie contract was up. The T-Wolves were putting together playoff teams around him. With Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell they made they made the conference finals.

It wasn't until he was getting older and running out of time to win a title he got a rebuilding Minnesota to trade him.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

On the other side, it would be a dumbass move for Cleveland NOT to trade Wiggins for Love if you have the opportunity, assuming you want to win a title now.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Normally, I would agree, but that would be under the assumption that some other team won't trade for him.

Wiggins, Bennett and a 2015 No. 1 is a lot for any player.

What is a better deal, David Lee, Klay Thompson and a pick or Wiggins, Bennett and a pick?

Cleveland will overpay to get Love, because that's what King James wants. If I'm Minnesota, I hold firm on Wiggins, Bennett and whatever is the highest of Cleveland's three No. 1 picks next season, although it's probably a pretty safe bet it will be the Sacramento pick, which is only protected against being a top 5 pick.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I know I'm in the minority but I think the Cavs would regret trading Wiggins for Love. I swear people think basketball is a fantasy sport and pay no attention to defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted