1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trader Joe's

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Apr 26, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The vanilla/almond granola cereal is almost like candy.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Five times in a day is too much.
    Slow down, man.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In the latest Consumer Reports, Trader Joe's and Publix were at the top of the supermarket ratings. It's no coincidence that both treat their employees very well.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Downtown News in LA recently polled the 30K or so who live downtown and asked them what they want the most to move in: TJ's finished first with about 75 percent of the vote. Target was second with 10 percent.

TJ's is remarkable. My favorite items are Tito's Vodka (at $19, it's 3 times better than the Stoli Elite I was drinking at $60 a bottle!) and the olive tapenade schmeered on a cracker. Yum.

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Vodka at TJ's?

Haven't seen that. But in Mass, I don't think ANY supermarket can sell hard liquor. Even for beer and wine, there's a law here that only three locations in a chain can get a license (hence only 3 TJs in Mass sell it). A couple of years ago there was a ballot measure to get rid of that law, but the liquor stores ran a scare campaign that allowing more supermarkets to sell beer and wine would encourage DUIs and underage drinking, implying that only packies had the expertise to sell alcohol responsibly. Yeah right.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

Trader Joe's is notorious for bad parking, verging on dangerous. So the one near us is across the (busy) street from Ralph's, and people park in the Ralph's lot and brave traffic to get their T.J.'s on. Good foreign wine, vegetarian selections and lots of nice snacks.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I'm in PA, so no beer/liquor at our Trader Joe's....

I highly recommend their various varieties of hummus and they have a white bean/gorganzola dip that's to die for.
    I also like their frozen mini beef and chicken tacos, their canned soups (specifically minestrone and french onion), their peanut butter crackers (think Ritz mini's), and their cheese straws (in the cracker section).

I will have to try that trail mix!

8. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Wisconsin laughs at your stupid law.

And buys another case of beer at the grocery store.

On a Sunday.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Please say you've been to Capital Ale House.

10. 93Devil

Yes, and I have read that beer menu.

Actaully, I think the Ale House jumped the shark becuase there is one now in fucking Fredericksburg.

11. 93Devil

So I finally walked into a Whole Foods this weekend, and honestly, I was less than impressed.

It was gorgeous, brand new store with tons of food choices. The prepared foods were magnificent and the choices up and down the aisles was very impressive. I also thought the produce and butcher departments seemed out of this world.

But money is an object to me, and everything I looked at seemed about 30-40% higher than I would be buying something very similar at Trader Joe's, Costco or on sale at Kroger. So I walked out of there only spending $11. I hate, hate, hate spending too much money on something.

I think the food rotation for my family will be Trader Joe's, Costco and Kroger. I just do not make enough money to shop at Whole Foods.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Fruit/cheese/meat specials. Concentrate on those, grab a slice of pizza and you will be fine.
    You pay their everyday prices only if you have money to burn.

Draft saved Draft deleted