1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trader Joe's

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Don't discount a beer due to alcohol content alone. I've had tremendous beers that are below 4% ABV, plus some really crappy ones 15+%. High gravity brews aren't meant to be guzzled down pint after pint all day, to be certain, but sipped wisely many big beers are manna. Keep that mind open!!

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

With Beer, the mind is always open.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

JC, the Silver Bullet won't slow you down.

I thought it used to run 1.7 for Coors Light, Ultra, 3.1 for Bud, Coors Miller and 5.2 for Bud Ice, Icehouse, King Cobra and the like.

Like I said, I could be way off base with that, but when I bartended back in the mid-90s, on a slow night we called the numbers on the bottles to find out what we (they) were drinking.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It will if I'm drinking 50. I also think that American and Canadian beers are weighted differently for alcohol content and there isn't as much difference as some people think.

5. 93Devil

So the light is lighter, but not as light as I thought.

From Wiki...

6. 93Devil

Bud...

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, I really don't know where you got that 1.7% number from. As the wiki page shows, most beers are in the 4.2-5.5% range. And anything with Ice in the name usually sucks. Natty and Keystone Ice being the first two that come to mind.

8. 93Devil

And to go back on topic...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trader_joes

9. 93Devil

True, but that 1.3 can make a big difference over the course of a couple poppers.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I love Trader Joe's. Their prices are great, they have interesting stuff and the customer service is really good. I agree that in general, the produce sucks, but oddly, all of the TJs near me have good tomatoes.

11. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure their "Simpler Times" is actually 6.1 ABV. And it's $3.99 for a sixer of cans and it's not terrible. Also -- better prices on Sierra Nevada and Smuttynose at TJs than you'll see anywhere else, along with the various Ommegang and Magic Hat offerings.

In Mass, there are 3 locations with beer and wine -- Framingham, Cambridge and Brookline (I fortunately live a mile from one of them).

We do about 80 percent of our grocery shopping there -- we go across the way to Whole Foods for fresh fruits and vegetables. All in all we make out a lot cheaper than we did by going to Stop 'n Shop.

But yeah, there's a lot of cooking staple stuff you can't get (jalapenos, bamboo shoots). Also a real shortage of good marinades and salad dressing. And they've got some supply-chain issues where stuff is often out of stock. I guess they think it's part of the charm.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

This thread inspired me to go to TJs today and I'm glad I did. The one nearest to my house expanded and it is huge. They had the biggest selection I've ever seen at a Trader Joe's and now carry a few things I used to have to get in other TJs. And now they have beer!

Draft saved Draft deleted