1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trader Joe's

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Apr 26, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FYI, Moddy. Saw you responded to the farmer's market @ Union Square on that other thread yesterday. We ended up getting this wild leak I have never seen before called ramps. I am surprised, because I thought I knew every vegetable there is and these seemed pretty common--like everyone knew what they were. There was one guy selling them at $2.50 a bunch and people were lined up to buy them, so we stopped to ask what they were. They smelled really fragrant, but we had no idea what to do with them. We ended up sauteing them in a little olive oil with garlic and tossing it with some pasta. It was REALLY good.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Every post you make I read in the voice of the guy in your avatar, and it cracks me up.

They are about 1/5th the size of a Food Lion or a Kroger, and they only sell certain vendors of food. If you want coffee, you buy what they are selling understanding that it will be good. There is no Maxwell House or Folgers, just about 12 types of what they sell.

It really is a refreshing change from Super Wal Mart (where I NEVER shop for food).

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

They had a cinammon coffee cake that was awesome. Now if you want the coffee cake you have to get lemon flavored :(

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Has been in my kitchen. A lot.

Saw an awesome TJ's in Brooklyn. A classic old bank building with the columns and everything converted into a grocery store. Tremendous.

5. Trader Joe's has beer?
    Where?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ummmm.... next to the wine?

Maybe they have some rules in your state about booze in grocery stores?

The first sixer I bought was called "Frugal Joe." Good solid beer. The next time I bought "Simpler Times" which checks in at an ass kicking 5.2 booze content. I have a pale ale in my fridge right now.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Quite a variety of beer at my local TJ's, Fenian. Some good stuff from Rogue, Fat Tire, etc.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I stopped in one in Maryland once - no wine, no beer. State laws and all that.
    Plenty of wine and beer here.

I like TJ's Smooth and Mellow coffee, the organic Fair Trade blend and the Peaberry.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not many in Michigan.

There's one in Northville/Novi and then a couple in Macomb County. But I think that's it.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

One in Ann Arbor where the old Whole Foods was...

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Oh yeah, forgot about the AA one.

There's also now two Whole Foods in Ann Arbor.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Where's the second? The first is Washtenaw and Huron Parkway

Draft saved Draft deleted