1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trader Joe's

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Apr 26, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.traderjoes.com/

I cannot tell how much of a crush I am getting on this store.

Wife, Lil 93 and I made our fifth trip there today, and each time we are more and more impressed. My favorites are the coffee and the beer, but the food is just damn good and at very good prices.

I have not had a bad item from there yet.

Anyone else frequent this little place?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I'm all about the coffee. I hit that store up for coffee, cereal, some bread, some wine - and then head to Whole Foods for some fruit and cheese. Once in a while, I'll get some meat at Whole Foods.
    I used to hit up a Trader Joe's in the D.C. area on my way back from Nats games. Glad to see one open up near the ranch.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

YES!! We have one walking distance from my place. I go there all the time. I loved the trial mixes and dried fruits.

4. 93Devil

Whole Foods is a lot more expensive, right?

Costco is our place for meat.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Supposedly TJ's is a great place to meet women, if you are looking.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it is - but you can find great fruit on sale. Cheese, too. Once in a while, they have some ridiculous reduction on meat. Often, though, I leave there with only some fruit and cheese.

I'll spend 60 or so at Trader Joe's and 20-30 at Whole Foods.

And this response is to Devil. I have no idea about the women thing.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've quickly become a believer. It's a little less than a mile walk from where I live and I have made the mistake of loading myself with a gazillion pounds packed into those paper bags a few times. But they are really good for a few things. ... and the produce isn't the freshest you can find, but it is surprisingly good and at great prices. I like the "Bay Blend" coffee, in particular. You can get a huge tin of it for a great price. And they have these Annie Chung soups (I get the miso and the udon noodle) for $1.99 each bowl that make really good lunches or snacks and are low fat. There is one store around here that sells them for $6.99 each. It cracks me up.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey babe, would you like to try my Two Buck Chuck?

9. 93Devil

I could see the woman comment.

The coffee rocks. Actually, everything seems to rock.

Some things they will not have, though. They did not have hard taco shells, and there was something else I forget that I was looking for and they just didn't have it.

We will do the WF run next time. We hit TJ on Sunday mornings after church about every other Sunday. The other Sundays we hit Costco for meets, diapers, wipes and their crack-like chicken salad.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Why does Costco drop items so frequently? You go there four or five times and get something you like and then the next time they don't have it anymore.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. They won't have that one little thing you are looking for. ... a few weeks ago for me, it was jalapeno peppers. But they have weird things that you will buy on a whim. Around Halloween it was pumpkin butter. They also will have something you really like and the next time you go back it will be nowhere to be found.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've never seen one of these.

Draft saved Draft deleted