1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trademark symbol

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, May 29, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Have you used or have you seen the trademark symbol (the little TM) used in a story?

I have something that is a trademarked name, and I'm wondering if I should use it or not.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No. But make sure you use it properly (not all punch is Kool-Aid and not all SUVs are Jeeps).

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Indeed. Fortunately, this isn't one of those well known products so there isn't a generic term. It's a fuckin' contest ... I better stop before I go on a profanity-laced tirade about ... I'm just gonna stop.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I spy something business profiley ...

5. sportsed

sportsed Member

Doing a story on the NBA Finals? Because that's trademarked. Same for Super Bowl and World Series. In fact, a lot of things in sports are trademarked, including virtually every professional sports team. Kind of goes with the territory in today's business world.

I'd advise leaving off the trademark symbol, unless it's really germane to the context of the story. Otherwise you'll find yourself affixing little TMs on everything.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, companies like Xerox, Hoover and Kleenex are always on the prowl for their trademarks being used as the term for a generic product.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The makers of SPAM had an unintentionally funny ad in the Columbia Journalism Review recently instructing journos on proper use of their product's name.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hoover? Really? I've never heard anyone refer to a vaccuum as a Hoover.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The Brits say "hoovering" for vacuuming.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

When I was at the college paper, one of our feature writers made a reference to a "velcro wall" at one of those traveling fitness shows, and we got a nasty letter from the makers of Velcro informing to either capitalize it or use the term "hook and loop fastening device."

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

What about Hummer?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm gonna xerox this thread, seal the envelopes with scotch tape, fedex it to everybody I know, then kick back and have a coke.

Draft saved Draft deleted