1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tracy Ringolsby profiles

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Left_Coast, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Couple of pieces on him today in the Rocky Mountain News on him going into the Hall of Fame Sunday.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/mlb/article/0,2777,DRMN_23924_4879697,00.html

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/columnist/0,1299,DRMN_86_2492,00.html

From the second one:

I looked into Tracy's personnel file before writing this column and found the resume he provided before he started working here. His list of references is fascinating. I've never seen one as long.

A certain George W. Bush, then managing general partner of the Texas Rangers, is listed. Tracy covered the Rangers for the Dallas Morning News before coming to the Rocky.

Let me share a story about that relationship that Gov. Bill Owens once told me.

One day when Owens got on Air Force One in Denver, he walked back to the president's cabin and found him hunched over a Rocky sports section reading Tracy.

"You're lucky you get to read Tracy every day," the president told him. "I just get to read him when I'm in Denver."

Now maybe that's something from the president's lips on which we can all agree.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Agree with the basic sentiment.... um... but there's this thing called the internets tubes....

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

With all due respect to Tracy, why the hell is he listing the owner of the team he covered as a reference?

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That, too.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope he's being inducted into the Tony Perez wing at the HOF...

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Tracy is excellent at what he does, but he's one of those "seam heads" who deems that everyone who is not in the Seam Head Club is a fucktard dicksnort loser.

7. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

You mean they aren't?? ;D

8. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

I know there have been writers who've had run-ins with him over the years and it's easy not to like him if you work at another paper, but he is the consummate baseball beat writer.

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I'll vouch for Tracy Ringolsby. What makes him the reporter he is has got to be his longetivity and his ability to report, not just take something and write with it. I always got a kick out of the fact that he came from a pretty unorthodox beginning in the industry but over the years became one of the best baseball reporters in the country. I'm personally biased in a way - a few years ago, when I was at a point in my career where I was super-frustrated, he gave me some very good advice that I still follow.

Hats off to the Cowboy. :)

10. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

That's a pretty good description.  He buddies up to the seam heads and treats everyone else like shit.

Oh, and the Denver Post has basically kicked his ass on everything Rockies ever since Troy Renck took the beat.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ringolsby also got his ass kicked (literally) by a Post writer whose name I can't recall a few years ago...

Based on what I know about Tracy, I'm sure it was deserved.

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Good for Tracy. He certainly made baseball his life. I'm paraphrasing, but he used to say the worst day of the year was the final game of the World Series, because it would be months before there would be another game.

But as others have said, he's not exactly the nicest person in the world to the non-seam heads.

Draft saved Draft deleted