1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tracking journalism misery

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

If you want to track other people's misery in journalism, check out this site:

http://newspaperlayoffs.com/

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I didn't think I had to check out any other site besides this one.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Contrary to the belief of many, this is not a one-stop source for all journalism information. Someone was kind enough to share the site with me and I thought it interesting enough to pass it along. If you can use it good. If you can't, it's still good.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That map's depressing as hell. And it doesn't even have everything, such as the Spokane Spokesman-Review laying off 14 newsroom employees last month:

http://www.khq.com/story/7304074/spokesman-review-announces-layoffs?redirected=true

We (my coworkers and I) used to talk about this stuff all the time pre-2008, but since then there are so many bad signs, we just put blinders on, crank out the pages, and come back the next day. If the door doesn't open or our keycard doesn't work, then we'll know it's our turn.

I'd like to think most of the people behind the numbers on that map have found work in other fields. I hope they have.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

only you would want to track the misery of others

6. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

The person who runs this site is a journalist and it's a volunteer effort. If you are aware of layoffs, such as those listed above, send an e-mail to newspaperlayoffs@gmail.com. She keeps all tips anonymous.

I think it's a public service to run that site. I can see where not everyone would want to keep track, but if you ever need that information, it's there.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

+1

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Former co-worker took the buyout there. And the site is also missing the closing of the Rocky Mountain News in 2009, though the map that year was so cluttered, it's probably easy to miss it.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember going to one of those blogs the day I got let go. I think seeing my name listed among the cuts was when it really sank in...

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Time to change the oil on that sarcasm meter, Drip. It's been more than 3000 miles.

11. Raiders

Raiders Guest

The numbers look way out of date for that site, at least for my paper.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I, for one, appreciate all the misery Drip has given us.

Draft saved Draft deleted