1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toys for Tots

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Dec 20, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sad sad times for a wonderful organization that brings a little joy into the lives of needy families and children.

I get to write the checks for a charitable foundation that benefits homeless kids, and when the local Marine Corp rep got our check this year, he was practically crying when he called to say they are short by hundreds of thousands of toys this year. That means hundreds of thousands of kids who will get nothing this holiday season.

I know how hard this season is for so many here, but if you're one of the fortunate who has an extra few bucks, please consider picking up a new toy and donating it at one of the many Toys for Toys locations. Someone will thank you more than you can imagine.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm picking up some Legos today for this. Sadly, it'll be a smaller box than the last coupla years. I'm just tight on funds.

It is a fantastic organization, 21.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

So I looked up a drop-off point and hit Wal-Mart for some toys. Get to the drop-off and was told the Marines picked up this morning. Argh. You would think they would give people through the weekend to shop and donate. Now I've got to find a different organization that's collecting. Any suggestions?

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Try a homeless shelter. Also, your county welfare department might know of a non-profit that accepts toys for needy kids. A group I'm in raises enough money every year to totally do Christmas for a couple families. It's great.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

A few people from office every year "adopt" a local family for the holidays -- usually a family connected through the women's shelter -- pool together the piggy banks and try to give the family a Christmas they otherwise wouldn't have. Very worthwhile, and you know it goes to help someone in the community.

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

We've given our toy already.......but I wish it was easier to donate used toys. We have plenty that have barely been used, my friends have 10x what my family has.......and yet it's very difficult to give these toys away to organizations. Actually, most of my son's toys are used....hand me downs from my friends with older kids.

I understand the joy of opening a new toy for Christmas.....but what's better, opening 1 new toy, or 1 new toy and 5-6 "used" toys?

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I think for Christmas, they really want to make sure the kids have the same kind of experience that more fortunate people have, so that's why the new toys for Christmas. I suspect that if you go to a homeless or women's shelter at other times of the year, they'd love some gently used toys.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This isn't Toys for Tots, but my wife's office adopts a family every year and pitches in money for presents, which everyone in the office shops for.

Wife shopped last night for the family's 7-year-old girl, inadvertently left the gifts on the back seat when she came home. Car was parked on the street in front of our house. This morning we went out to the find a rear window broken out and the gifts gone. Unfuckingreal. We'll replace all of them but it really burns my ass that this stuff happens, especially around the holidays.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I always wind up writing several checks to Toys For Tots over the course of the year because it absolutely kills me to think of a kid getting nothing for Christmas. Even if you get something small, it's still <b>yours</b> and that counts for something. So they send pitches in the mail, and I try to send them some money.

We also did that thing where you pick a paper ornament off a tree and there's an anonymous kid's request. We got a seven-year-old boy who wanted baseball and football stuff. Got him a bunch of stuff, and it was the best money we spent last year. This year the tree was picked clean by the time we got to it, which was disappointing in one way, but encouraging in a bigger way.

The thought of a kid having to consider Christmas as just another day saddens me beyond all reason. We had some modest years when I was a kid, but there was always something.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

One of the best feelings I get around Christmas is buying a gift for a child through the Salvation Army's Angel Tree program.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm doing my best to avoid a mall again between now and Christmas, and I'm not very good at picking out toys for random kids, which means the Toys for Tots online donation program is perfect for me. It's real, real, reallllllllllll easy to donate online. I just done did it. It is Christmas after all.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We've been part of an angel tree program for years at church. Nothing beats seeing the kids from last year opening their presents. It is an amazing feeling.

Draft saved Draft deleted