1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toyota Yaris thoughts anybody?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Granny, Jun 25, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

My girlfriend has had a 2007 Yaris since June and she loves it. She drives slightly less than I do (give or take 200-300 miles per week) and raves about it's gas performance.

Granted, she's pretty short (4-10 or so), but the times I've been in it's pretty roomy (I'm 5-8 and fat).

Hasn't had a problem with it mechanically since she got it, but let me tell ya something...you even tap the cap in front of you and it's gonna crumble like a soft Oreo cookie in July.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Consumer Reports recommends the Scion 4-cylinder over the Yaris, which didn't get very good safety ratings. The Scion gets only slightly higher ratings.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Revenge is a bitch.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. The Granny

The Granny Guest

As a I newbie, I request that I can hand out a "Solid" for Dixie's old-school post. May I?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well-played.

6. joe

joe Active Member

When I had the two-door, sky-blue, hatch-back, three-cylinder, no-radio, no-AC, Geo Metro, I drove that fucking piece of shit 85 on the highway. I buckled up for the first time in my life because I figured my mom might want an open casket. Jesus christ, try driving 55,000 miles without a radio. A one-hitter was my friend.

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I went to look at Yaris and Scion (with my wife) and came away in a Corolla. This was back in the old days, when gas was just $3 and driving a big gas guzzler like a Corolla was still practical.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

What kind of options did the Yaris lack? The Honda probably is pricier, but I'm not buying the $3,000 more with the same option list.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I rented a Yaris for a week while working in Cuba and thought the car was a riot.

It was fun to drive and fairly peppy for it's size. It made dodging the craterish potholes that much more fun.

I am in the 6'5"ish range and found the room suprisingly good. The bubble shape of it gave great site lines and head room, leg room...not so much.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Yarises start at about $12,200 and go up to about $15,300. Fits range from $14,600 (base) to $15,900 (Sport). If you're comparing a stripper Yaris to a Fit Sport there's a $3,000 difference.

My sister was in the market recently for this sort of car and bought a Fit on Friday; she thought it was much better than the Yaris. So does Consumer Reports.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I was damn near mashed potatoes in my Chevy Metro when I totaled it a few years back. I hit a full-size van. He was going 25-30, I had just pulled out of my drive.

On a completely unrelated topic: 'supose The Granny is Grandma from Rounders? You werkin' wit KGB, Granny?

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

My editor drives one and is pretty happy with it -- even on I-80.

He's a big kid -- in shape but 6-4 so I guess it's okay.

Draft saved Draft deleted