1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toyota Yaris thoughts anybody?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Granny, Jun 25, 2008.

1. The Granny

The Granny Guest

The Granny, once sold on the Honda Fit, has been intrigued by the Toyota Yaris.

Anybody own one or sleep with someone who does? Can you give me some feedback?

Sorry if this is a "D_B" as you kids call it. Thanks as always. Peach cobbler to all.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My daughter went to the dealership to buy one and came back with a Scion instead. Roomier, not that much more money. She felt cramped in the Yaris. But she did a hell of a lot of research and raved about the Yaris. Just didn't feel it fit her that well.

3. The Granny

The Granny Guest

How tall is your young' un? I stand 6-1 and some change. Or did she just "feel" cramped?
    How's "retirment" treating you?

4. Moderator1

She's 5-9 with lotsa leg. And she drove a Honda Civic for six years so I'm not sure I understand.

Treating me quite well, thanks. I wish I was really retired, though.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'm curious how someone enamored with the Fit came away preferring a Yaris.

The Fit made Car & Driver's 10Best, an amazing feat considering it's going up against vehicles that cost three and four times the Fit's listed price. And C&D does not have a specific category for econoboxes, meaning it really earned the award.

Mechanically, I would guess it's a wash as both Toyota and Honda have bulletproof drivetrains and engines. But Honda usually gets the ergonomic edge, hence my curiousity with this situation.

6. The Granny

The Granny Guest

3,000 less out the door.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

6-1? Cramped isn't the right word for you in a Yaris. I'm 5-6. The Yaris is a very, very, very small car. I've driven one. It has some cute little pickup but I was so uncomfortable on the freeway ... anything hits you and you're done. Mashed potato all over the road.

8. Moderator1

Damn. Glad my kid passed now.

9. The Granny

The Granny Guest

I appreciate the help. Any Yaris owners out there? (Or are they all mush on I-80?)

10. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

As a proud owner of the Toyota Echo, I spit on the Yaris for committing genocide on any new incarnation of my beloved automobile.

DAMN YOU YARIS!
    DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Scion xD has a similar intent but a slightly peppier engine, more features and somewhat better looks; might be roomier, too. It's built on a stretched version of the Yaris platform.

Roy, it's still a Toyota Vitz underneath — just like the Echo was.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I've been driving a Yaris rental for the past week and a half. I really like it. I'm not a small person (quite big, in fact) and I don't feel cramped at all. It parks like a dream and I've had no problems passing everyone on the highway. On top of that, I drove the car everyday for over a week before I needed to put gas in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted