1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toyota Tacoma = College Dorm

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by buckweaver, Feb 19, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

By Seema Mehta, Times Staff Writer
    February 19, 2007

After a long day of film classes, working at the Apple Store, rock climbing at the gym and finishing homework in the student union, Cal State Fullerton senior Andy Bussell heads home — to a white Toyota Tacoma with a twin-size mattress in the truck bed, a camper shell for protection and black curtains for privacy.

The 26-year-old has been living in his truck for nearly 19 months, skirting rules against sleeping in vehicles while otherwise living the life of a mainstream student. What started out as a way to save some cash has turned into a journey of self-reliance and independence.

<snip> Steven Cuellar, 23, met Bussell about two years ago while working at the Apple Store in Fashion Island. When he learned about his friend's plans to live in a truck, he was stunned.

"I thought it was a crazy, whacked-out idea," said Cuellar, who graduated from Cal State Fullerton in June. "At the same time, I know him, so I was like, I know he can do it. He's all like outdoorsy … and that's the perfect setup for a person who likes to be outdoors. It's like camping 24-7."

<snip> He hopes to shoot travel pieces and nature documentaries, and plans to write a book about his experiences. Postings on his blog, gotruckyourself.blogspot.com, will provide fodder.
  2. melock

melock Active Member

Hey it beats being woken up by your neighbor coughing their lungs up just minutes after hacking down a few dorals in 8 degree weather.
Draft saved Draft deleted