1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toyota Tacoma = College Dorm

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by buckweaver, Feb 19, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

http://tinyurl.com/2bmm87

By Seema Mehta, Times Staff Writer
    February 19, 2007

After a long day of film classes, working at the Apple Store, rock climbing at the gym and finishing homework in the student union, Cal State Fullerton senior Andy Bussell heads home — to a white Toyota Tacoma with a twin-size mattress in the truck bed, a camper shell for protection and black curtains for privacy.

The 26-year-old has been living in his truck for nearly 19 months, skirting rules against sleeping in vehicles while otherwise living the life of a mainstream student. What started out as a way to save some cash has turned into a journey of self-reliance and independence.

<snip> Steven Cuellar, 23, met Bussell about two years ago while working at the Apple Store in Fashion Island. When he learned about his friend's plans to live in a truck, he was stunned.

"I thought it was a crazy, whacked-out idea," said Cuellar, who graduated from Cal State Fullerton in June. "At the same time, I know him, so I was like, I know he can do it. He's all like outdoorsy … and that's the perfect setup for a person who likes to be outdoors. It's like camping 24-7."

<snip> He hopes to shoot travel pieces and nature documentaries, and plans to write a book about his experiences. Postings on his blog, gotruckyourself.blogspot.com, will provide fodder.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Hey it beats being woken up by your neighbor coughing their lungs up just minutes after hacking down a few dorals in 8 degree weather.

Draft saved Draft deleted