1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toy Story 3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wisportswriter, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My friend's 6 year old son was scared by a few scenes.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's a incinerator sequence that some have said could scare young kids, but mine didn't have a problem.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Well, we're giving it a shot for the 11:30 show. Between the 3D, the snacks and the cost of a babysitter, it would be cheaper to buy a few pounds of filet mignon, so let's hope my daughter doesn't flame out after 20 minutes.

4. billikens

billikens Member

You can save a few dollars and skip the 3D. I've seen it in both versions, the 3D adds a nice touch and it looks a little prettier, but doesn't add enough to make it worth it.

Also, I've heard a lot of complaints from parents whose kids didn't want to keep the glasses on the whole time.

5. Webster

It was her first full movie in the theater and it didn't go great. She hated the glasses and was scared by Lotso.

I thought it was well written, clever and very sweet and worked on many levels. But let's not pretend it was a "great" movie -- it was an enjoyable watch.

6. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

In college, I spent summers and holidays working at a big movie theater. I don't have any kids. I saw Toy Story 3 with a date on Saturday night at 8:05. It was the first time I'd gone to see an animated/CGI movie since my own childhood.

I'm amazed at the amount of money wasted on taking small children to see a movie. I can't imagine a kid really being able to grasp/stay hooked up with a full length movie when they are under the age of 5. I know it depends on each child, but a good number parents don't seem to be able to accurately judge the maturity level of their children.

On Saturday night, it seemed like most of the parents had their kids at the theater because they didn't want to go through the hassle/expense of getting a babysitter. I would have gone to the last showing of Toy Story 3 to avoid children, but 8:05 was the last 2D showing of the movie.

7. beanpole

beanpole Member

It all depends on the kid and the parents' ability to correctly decide what the kid can handle. We took little Beansprout (just turned 4) this weekend and he loved it. Sat on my lap the entire movie wolfing down popcorn and laughing at the gags he understood.

8. billikens

billikens Member

It's definitely a case by case basis, but I don't have a problem seeing parents take their children to kid's movies. There are some kids as young as 3 who can sit on the edge of their seat mesmerized for 2 hours. And there are kids ages seven, eight, nine, 10 who can't sit still for that long. My issue is with parents who bring their 6 year old to an adult movie. You'd be amazed - or disgusted - at the number of parents who think it's ok to bring a young child to a rated-R movie.

"Well, we couldn't find a babysitter, so we're taking little Tommy with us to Predators. But don't worry, he's only 5, so the loud explosions, graphic violence and language won't register with him."

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have no problem taking kids to the movies, but we usually try to hit the earliest show possible to avoid the crowds. Also, when there are a lot of kids in the theater, you get a little less worried if they start talking during the show.

My kids were silent for the entire Toy Story 3 and my youngest is 2.

10. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

The theater I worked at had a decent policy to avoid small children in Rated R movies. Under no circumstances may a child under the age of 6 see a Rated R movie that starts after 6 PM.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mrs. Ace and I took our son to a NCAA basketball tournament first-round when he was just under 2 (4 games in one day). He lasted three games with a break for a park after two.

I was pretty shocked but he has grown up to be a crazy sports fan.

Also loved and cried at Toy Story 3. The first was a big favorite of the kids when they were little and now college nears.

12. Webster

My favorite is the family sitting in front of us at "Bad Santa" with two kids under 10. I guess that they didn't read past the title.

Draft saved Draft deleted