1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toy Story 3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wisportswriter, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought Up was the perfect 100 percent last year.

I have no idea how someone could watch Toy Story 3 and not love it, or at least like it.

2. billikens

billikens Member

Up ended at 98 percent, but was the same way. Perfect scores the first day or two, then a few negative reviews rolled in. Something like 250 reviews, 5 negative.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

You mean Sheldon Cooper's mom? (The voice is the same actress. :D )

Loved Toy Story 3. It's like the end of an era...I can remember seeing the first in theaters. I did like Up more and cried a LOT more at that one (more than just at the first 20 minutes...when he finally goes past the first page of Ellie's scrapbook...OH I LOST IT. JUST LOST IT. Openly bawled in theaters.)

There's also A113, which was the room where they studied graphic design together. It's in almost every movie and is the license plate on Andy's mom's car. (It's also in several other animated movies and TV shows.)

I can't wait until the three-pack comes out around Christmas. Never got the second and I still have the first on a showing-its-wear VHS tape.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

By the way, where's Andy's Dad?

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Bobcat, I think Pixar must be grandfathered in on that weird Disney fetish where every cartoon involves the death or absence of a parent. It's freakish.

6. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

The Incredibles doesn't mesh with that, though. Does Remy the rat have a mom? I've never seen that one. And parents aren't really an important part of Monsters Inc.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Just got home from taking the nephews to see TS3. Awesome movie, well done. I like the kids' lessons in a lot of the Pixar movies: let's work together and accomplish a goal.

I love the opening Pixar short ... what was the speech?

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Saw TS3 in 3DImax last night.
    Loved it. Loved the opening Night & Day short as well.
    Hated the fact that the theater was running behind schedule so everyone had to enter the theater in the dark and then they cut the movie off during the animation sequence during the credits and immediately turned the lights on full. Wife & I were one of five groups that complained to the manager about it. His excuse was "all of that is automated, there's no individual that hit the switch off early. For the people that couldn't stay, he gave free passes, for my wife & I and another couple that could stay he tried to rewind the film to just the credits for us and couldn't. However a regular version of TS3 was just about to wrap up in another theater, so he let us go in for that and gave us free passes for another movie.

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Saw TS3 today and loved it. It was every bit as good as the first two, and that's saying something. What a terrific way to bring closure to the trilogy, especially with how the movie ended.

I nearly cried at the end, too - came very close. Like the lady quoted above, my firstborn graduated from high school last month. He's staying home while going to college, but still, it is the passing of an era. His graduation felt like an out-of-body experience - it didn't seem real.

The end of the Toy Story trilogy came at the ending of a chapter in my life, too. I knew I had to see it in a theater.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My nearly 5 year old really wants to see it, even though she didn't see the first two. Is it age appropriate and will she be able to follow it without the prior knowledge?

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

There are some references to the first ones and obviously you can tie the whole story together better if you've seen the first two, but for a kid it isn't a requirement. My 5-year-old has never been more engaged in a plot. He loved it. There is a pretty clear good vs. evil battle going on, with good often struggling to get ahead, so it has some concerning moments for younger kids. But I think it is fine for the average 5-year-old, especially if she has seen any number of Pixar or Disney-type movies.

12. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Took my 2-year-old and 5-year-old, although they had seen the first two and were both already into the characters, especially the 2-year-old, who already seems to idolize Buzz. My oldest definitely caught onto the story and my youngest did great, although got restless in the last half hour, which is to be expected. But it was his first movie and he did great.

Draft saved Draft deleted