1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toy Story 3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wisportswriter, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've met a lot of younger people (under 25) who have never seen any of the original Star Wars movies.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I saw the first Star Wars in the theater when it came out (I was 9). I didn't much like it so I didn't feel the need to see Empire. GF II is a masterpiece.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

When they opened up Buzz Lightyear's battery compartment, it had "Buy and Large" batteries -- the big-box company from "Wall-E." This is why Pixar rocks.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I'm 46 and haven't seen any of the Star Wars movies, originals, remakes, sequels....nothing.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Saw it on Imax 3-D and still, something like a 10 days later, I still have a headache.

Lots to soak in on that giant screen.

Also, read online all the Easter Eggs Pixar hides.
    Buy and Large batteries, the cars from Cars were toys at the daycare. The bully in Toy Story, was the garbage man in TS3.
    The main car in Cars 2 was featured in a poster on Andy's wall. The pizza joint in TS3 has been in all the Pixar movies in one way or another.
    The older couple from Up was in a framed photo in Andy's house.
    I could go on, but I don't remember them all.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Someone else mentioned this, but Pixar blows everything away by focusing on the story and the characters. No other animated film can compare to theirs. Even the worst of them (probably the Incredibles, but still, good) is better than Kung Fu Panda and Shrek. This fact is talked about all the time in their commentaries.

I remember seeing Toy Story, which I think was their first full length feature and thinking, this is going to change a lot of stuff. Did it ever.

And yes, I cried at the end.

7. Mizzougrad96

The best thing about the Pixar movies is that all of them are so good just about everybody disagrees over which ones are the best/worst.

I would say Wall-E was the worst, followed by Up. Both were still pretty solid movies.

8. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

I loved The Incredibles. I never got into Wall-E either, and have yet to see Up.

But we've got everything they have done (except Up) and wear those DVD's out. I mean, I can't tell you how many times we've watched the Toy Story's the last five years with the little ones. And we never get sick of them. Just last Thursday, we had a Toy Story and Toy Story II viewing at my house in anticipation of our going to see III the next day.

Helped get the little ones excited too.

Pixar rules. Did anyone catch the piece on CNBC last week about the company? Very well done.

9. Mizzougrad96

I loved the Incredibles too.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Whatever bones may be picked with Up, they all have to be forgiven,
    given the utterly spectacular opening twenty minutes.

11. Mizzougrad96

Agreed on the opening sequence to Up. Amazing...

The rest of the movie, to me was just OK.

12. billikens

billikens Member

I spent the last 20 minutes doing everything I could to hold back tears. My wife had tears rolling down her cheeks. And the lady next to me was bawling. Literally sobbing. When it ended, the lady seemed embarrassed. She apologized and said her oldest son, whose first favorite movie ever was Toy Story, is going off to college in the fall.

For about 24 hours, it had a perfect score on Rotten Tomatoes. There's no way it was going to last, as there's always someone who has to chime in with a negative opinion (reminds me of baseball's Hall of Fame voting), but right now it's at 98 percent. 199 reviews. 3 negative.

Draft saved Draft deleted