1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toy Guns

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, May 15, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i have girls, and they never really have thought guns were cool in the least. when we lived all rural, they saw me shoot my .357 at coyotes and were very indifferent. kinda pleased with that.

funny thing is, though, i still remember having daisey BB gun wars with my friends from the time i was 8 until, shit, i was 15, and i've never considered pointing a "real gun" at another person.

2. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Probably not going to happen, Rosie, but most certainly a very good idea. Education is the key.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

For anyone born after 1978, a Hunter Education course and certificate is required before purchasing a hunting license. At least in my state, anyway.

4. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

It's 1957 here.

And I think Rosie is talking about firearm education for everyone, not just those who want to go hunting.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Yes, I am.

6. In Exile

In Exile Member

Every kid already has a toy gun, no matter what you do. It's called his/her finger, and they shoot it all the time when you are not watching.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How do you folks feel about letting your kids where cargo pants?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Over my dead body will our kid wear cargo pants....he could grow up to be a photographer!

Other than that, kids don't need toy guns...if they really want to 'shoot,' they shoot you with pencils, and sticks from the yard, and stuffed bunnies. I'd never buy a toy gun, that's for sure...but I would never think it would stop a kid from pretending some other way.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

No guns, no cap guns, nothing, not even the old fluorescent green water pistols. Clear and understood, no questions asked. We do play finger guns behind the couches, though.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same here. And I have a distinct feeling that one of my cousin's BB guns was not nearly as low-powered as mine was during those games. Getting shot with that shit hurt like a mofo. :eek:

That said, I'm definitely in favor of gun safety classes for all. Education is the key. And so is respect.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

buck - but you did learn to wear the baggy clothing, eh?

mandatory classes ... do you mean like in jr. high?

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Old-school Starter jackets, baby. This looked exactly like mine (same team, too :D):

[​IMG]

It's a friggin' wonder no one got shot in the face. But even getting hit in the back with the jacket on stung like a mofo.

And yeah, I think junior high would be a good time for it. Around 12 years old. But hell, they can't even do sex ed right. Why the fuck would we expect anybody to get through to kids on firearm safety and education?

Draft saved Draft deleted