1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Town cuts high school sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

It almost happened in a lot of Ohio towns. Because of the way the schools are funded, they were running out of money and threatened to cut ALL extra curriculr activities. I know Huron, Ohio, schools almost did.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

It's no fun when anybody gets their program cut (Art, Band, etc.) It's a problem with funding of schools in general, though, not just any one area.

3. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Mahopac, in downstate N.Y., went to an austerity budget for the 2006-2007 school year, killing the funding for sports.
    Parents and boosters jumped in to raise a ton of money to restore sports, but the big break came when a state senator used money from the "member items" (i.e., pork barrel) budget to write them a check for $150,000.
    So, voters in the district TWICE said no to paying for sports, then some politician in need of votes in the next election comes along and hits taxpayers across the whole state with a bill for $150,000 to fund sports in one district.
    Don't you think voters from across the state are going to take note of that and say "let someone else pick up the tab on this."?

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'd like to clarify that I attended an Ohio high school. There was a threat of cuts when a levy was on the ballot. That levy failed because of personality disputes within the city. The threats turned out to be real and the cuts happened the day after the tax issue failure.

The school board didn't even entertain a pay-to-play option. It was a complete nuking of all programs. Needless to say, all athletes worth a damn bailed to other school districts. I recall going to a rival high school to watch my friends play football on Friday night. It was surreal, but it only lasted a few months. The levy passed in the next election cycle, but the damage was permanent.

I've probably said too much.

::)

5. KP

KP Active Member

The other schools around are having a hard enough time keeping their own bottom line in check. Doesn't even begin to address space in classroom for a few thousand K-12 kids.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

First, Stoneham is not a rural town. Very suburbanized.

Second, the idea of any school districts cooperating in Massachusetts is a joke. Cooperative programs are few and far between.

IMO, this just goes to show what a dinosaur Proposition 2-1/2 is. I hope Barbara Anderson and all her anti-tax cronies are doing the jig after hearing this.

7. KP

KP Active Member

There's also the segment of the population that once their kids have gone through the school district could give two shits about them.

Prop 2-1/2 just failed where I went to school, then the parents bitch about why the building sucks, the textbooks are a mess, no bells and whistles in the system. The shit ain't free.

Though the amount of administration has certainly increased. The guy who was superindendent never needed an assistant or a business manager pulling in close to 100k each.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Seriously, I hope Barbara Anderson wakes up tonight and has a wet dream. "I saved Stoneham's taxpayers $3 million!" I hope it's worth it to her to screw up the lives of a bunch of kids -- not just athletes -- so her latte-sipping buddies can continue to drive their Explorers to work.

9. KP

KP Active Member

Prop 2 1/2 cancelled the 1982-83 spring championships.

10. In Exile

In Exile Member

In Europe, the club sports system often takes the place of school sponsored athletics. In my town, the VFW Hall sucks all that up. The school provides nothing, the town provides nothing (ZERO recreational budget), and, sadly, the parents provide nothing. I haven't even been able to get some one to volunteer as an assistant coach.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh, it is. These anti-tax zealots are the Jelenics of government and education -- they don't give a shit about what gets cut, who is hurt when services are degraded or eliminated. Just cut, cut, cut, cut, cut my taxes, man.

I (and my kids) got mine, so screw you, Jack (and your kids).

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I am all for lower taxes. Heck, I live in a state that, at this moment, doesn't have an income tax.

Still, there is a line that needs to be drawn. The problem with Massachusetts' system is the ridiculousness of the 2-1/2 percent tax increase cap. That's less than the cost of inflation. While I understand the desire for fiscal restraint, there needs to be some wiggle room there.

Draft saved Draft deleted