1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tournament Brackets

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by young-gun11, Jan 6, 2012.

1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

What is the best way to do a tournament bracket in InDesign? Should I just draw the lines myself? I really don't have any idea of another way to do it. Hoping someone can shed some light on it!

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I won't go into much detail except to say, copy-and-paste is your best friend.

Say you have a 16-team bracket. Do one two-team matchup perfectly, just the way you want it. Yes, make the lines and everything. Just the way you want it. Then copy and paste seven times to make eight such brackets. Align them evenly over the vertical space you have, and align them horizontally.

And you keep doing it like this. Get one right; copy-and-paste the rest.

3. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

How do you flip the bracket horizontally?

4. jr/shotglass

There's a tool at the top that allows you to "mirror" your image, I think. You also could probably rotate it 180 degrees. Just be sure after you do that, you align the two "pieces" vertically.

5. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Got it. I hate InDesign. Quark was much simpler. haha

Thanks for the help!

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

InDesign owns Quark. It's not even close once you figure out its capacity.

You can do it as shotty suggests, or you can use boxes, which I find easier and which ensures perfect corners. Just put a white box over one end of each box so that it only has three sides.

Also, a D_B on this board isn't really very acceptable, considering how few threads there are. http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/46550/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. jr/shotglass

That would probably yield a cleaner result. Do it his way.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Once you have one game set up, if you figure the space u want between games, u can use step and repeat under the Edit menu to get all the games for one round at the same time. Saves having to line them all up too when u past them in.

9. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I would LOVE to know all the ins and outs of INDesign, but I kind of got thrown to the wolves and I am using basic Quark-type hot keys just to get it done.
    I do, however, have time to play around with it (when I'm not on here) thanks to my being at a Weekly.

I am still learning, but I didn't even think about the "How do I do this..." thread.

Sorry :(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No problem. Just don't ever do it again.

In all seriousness, I found InDesign more intuitive but not like Quark. Which meant I had to unlearn Quark steps to learn the more intuitive InDesign steps. But it's a better program by a mile.

11. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Oh, I know it's better. Most anything Adobe is top-of-the-line.
    I really like the program. I just don't know how to use its vast features.

12. jr/shotglass

I really think that if you use a page-design program, you learn what you need for day-to-day use and then pick up the intricate stuff on the run later. That's the way it's been for me on everything from Freehand to Quark to InDesign.

If you find that the "spacing-out" feature of align in InDesign is a big help in creating graphics, for instance, you tend to retain it. And if you remember that a certain feature was a big help for you on a previous program, you make a point to learn how to execute it in your current program.

Draft saved Draft deleted