1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tour of Cali vs. TdF

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shoeless Joe, May 23, 2010.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I've been kind of laughing at myself watching this year's Tour of California just because of a revelation I had the other day.

I don't miss a stage of the Tour de France, and haven't for years. I always notice stores, shops, buildings, things along the road, etc. and think something along the lines of "ohhh, look at the exotic (whatever)."

Watching this year's ToC, I'm thinking "they just rolled past a Taco Bell/Starbucks/Long John Silvers, you'd think the organizers could have picked a nicer route."

I wonder if there are folks in Europe watching the feed thinking in the reverse of what I do with the Tour de France. "Ohhhh, I wonder what they sell at that 'Staples' store?"

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, I thought of the same thing as they went through Friday's stage through the San Gabriels and San Bernardinos. Know that area like the back of my hand. But, no, the Euros don't care about a weeklong "race.'

3. Shoeless Joe

They better learn to care. Think of the big names in this race that passed up on the Giro.

No, it's not a grand tour, but I was actually surprised at the number of big names that turned up. My first reaction to the ToC going head to head with the Giro was "that's stupid" but I guess the guys who have true Tour ambitions would rather race eight days in Calif. vs. doing a three-week race beforehand.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The ToC has great potential. Should extend it to 10 days, make sure to get down south. And keep that mountains stage. That was a brutal stage, but you need something like that to bring in people.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Reminds me of some of those car racing video games featuring different parts of California. I think its a good race, not only for the variation of geography but with the weather conditions racers encounter. Remember last year where they had a downpour between Davis and Santa Rosa and snow in the Sierra foothills. Probably a good idea to move it from March. They need to his 17-mile Drive, Mulholland Drive, Sunset Boulevard, and why not Lombard Street?

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Attended two days and had a blast. The crowds in DTLA and in Westlake Village were huge. Equally huge was the disapointment in not seeing ToC @ the Rose Bowl this year. As for the aerials, I thought the stage through the "There Will be Blood" country around Bakersfield looked pretty cool and different.

Wish the ToC could add another element by racing in Palm Springs or Death Valley for a leg.

Also very happy to see my favorite team -- the world's best bicycling squad ;) -- bring the victory home to San Luis Obispo!

7. Shoeless Joe

I also liked how the last day wasn't a parade. Rogers, Levi and Dave Z put on some of the best racing I've seen in a while on the final stage, and it was heads up. It was a great finish.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The US will never have quaint castles and charming old villages to roll past for a bike race the way Europe does. But that's OK.

I'd love to see ToC expand to 10-14 days.

I'm bummed there isn't more UCI-worthy stage racing in the US.

Personally, I can't wait for the Tour of Utah to make a stroll through some of the most amazing cycling scenery in the states. Going to be a fun, fun week in the 801

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Outing Alert! Idy is actually Fredcast Dave!

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I've met him and we've been seen in the same place at the same time.

I am, indeed, a Fred. But not Dave

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I await word on a Tour of the Bronx; or a Tour de Bensonhurst.

"Hey! I'm ridin' here!"

12. bbnews60

bbnews60 Member

I was kind of hoping to see a night stage through Compton or Watts perhaps.

Draft saved Draft deleted