1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tour de France?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by James307, Jun 4, 2008.

1. James307

James307 Member

No, if I "outed" myself as Sal Ruibal, I would talked about this cool cat who took me around France the first time I went to the race. That would have been me. Drove like 4,000 miles together and still managed to get along. LOL. In fact, Sal and I have been friends since. Say what you will, but anyone who can stick it out at USA Today since it began, deserves props on some level. He hasn't attended Le Tour for a few years, but he still gets interviewers with the "players" when he needs 'em . . . Oh, thanks for the props , HH.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

What is a sporting event that will have less ratings than hockey?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I covered the Tour de Trump/Tour duPont from start to finish for several years. Actually had fun, other than the timing (anniversary, birthday, mother's day, dance recital - EVERY year). I can't imagine how cool it is in France.
    That said, no one here gives two shits. I use it as an example when I speak and people say why don't you cover such and such. Well, there's no interest. If you wrote about it, there would be.

Then I whip it out. "I did this massive piece on the Tour duPont that took up 3/4s of our front page. You could not miss it. Did you read it?"
    "No."
    "Why not?"
    "I don't care about bike racing."
    "THANK YOU. We cannot create interest, no matter how much we try sometimes."

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You're an exhibitionist?
    He was probably waaaaay distracted.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I covered a Tour duPont leg that came through horse country in 1992. Even won a VPA writing award. All I remember now is that I think Lance Armstrong was in there someplace and after all the bikes go by there's a car with brooms on the back called the sweeper that brings up the rear.

6. James307

James307 Member

It's called The "Broom Wagon," and has been in the sport since its early days of the sport France. There's usually a broom or two posted on the back of the last vehicle on the course. In the old days, it was actually used to clean the road. There's also sometimes a red lantern on the last vehicle and thus the term, Lantern Rouge, the dubious award given the last guy in the standings. Both items are now just symbolic.

If anyone is really interested in learning about the sport, rent the movie of a few years ago called "Triplets of Belleville." It was nominated for best documentary or best foreign film or something like that. It's got great music and is quite a satire. It's one of the most innovative films I've ever seen.

Cheers,

James
    www.byjamesraia.com

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

When I visit France the farthest thing on my mind is a bike race.

8. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Hey,

I saw that movie "American Flyers" on ESPN Classic last week. Is it better than that?

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

We have a column for worldwide sports briefs, and it's always good to get at least one mug in every day, to spruce up the page. The great thing about July, is you know you've got an easy mug shot every day.

As an aside, I love the Tour, but given my ecletic tastes (I caught myself watching French Open matches that did not include Ana Ivanovic over the last few weeks), I'm probably the last person that should be making these decisions. :D

10. James307

James307 Member

American Flyers is nothing compared to Triplets of Belleville. I consider the latter masterful, the former pulp.

Oh, and to the other guy. I think he means "furthest" not "farthest."

Draft saved Draft deleted