1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tour de France coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BH33, Jul 9, 2007.

1. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I ran the preview on the front last week....
    the other days its been wayyyy inside, usually cut down to 8 inches or so...

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Same.

You're too in love with the niche sports. If it wasn't this, it would be rodeo needs full AP coverage.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Shottie, people should be aware of what's going on, if only to make sure the agate gets in. But sure, nobody but me likes niche sports.

And I'd settle for AP getting the agate for the NFR out before our final deadline.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Never said nobody but you likes niche sports. Don't be revisionist. :)

But a niche sport is a niche sport for a reason -- it draws less interest than a major sport.

5. We've been running 12-inch stories with a photo, but way back in the section.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I like being a revisionist. You know that.

I know why a niche sport is a niche sport, but in this career, it should be our business to know when the niche sports biggest events are going on, whether that's the Tour, the Aussie Open or National Finals Rodeo. Even if all the space you've got for the niche sport is agate, that won't get in if you don't know it's going on.

7. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Buried right now with a promo on the front, but we'll probably move it to the front when it gets near the end.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

There's niche, then there is rodeo ...

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeahhhh ... but you can say the same thing about lacrosse.

If people in the Midwest saw what the Baltimore Sun does with college lacrosse, they'd faint.

10. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

I don't know. If you don't have any desk responsibilities, not knowing when the Tour de France starts doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me. It's like the NHL playoffs. I had no idea when they were starting, but I write. I don't do layout. I don't cover hockey. I don't live in a hockey market. Doesn't make me any less of a journalist.

11. How about this: Read a goddamn newspaper.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Stay classy there, Gauchos.

Draft saved Draft deleted