1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toughest interviews

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micke77, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The one Bob Knight press conference I've had the pleasure of participating in is still the only one I've sat through in which no one wanted to ask the first question.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

For whatever reason, and this probably doesn't speak well of me, I had no problems with Knight and in fact in the times I dealt with him wound up with good copy.
    I'm with FB. Prep girl athletes, while fine young people, are both creeped out at being asked questions by an adult and, to the extent they speak at all, only speak fluent Sportscenter.

3. I'd like to throw a vote here to old John McNamara, the former Red Sox manager, because, well, you had to be there sometimes.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

Fenian_Bastard....thanks for that offering because it made me smile. damn, how true.

5. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Marvin Harrison is not known for being a chatty cathy type interview.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Those aren't tough interviews. Oh wow, someone who doesn't like to make things easy.
    Tough is talking to a 17-year old girl who put up a double-double three days after her father died.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Toughest for me have been freshmen girls.

It's bad enough when I'm talking to some kid after a game and their parents are in the stats wondering who that perv is that is talking with their little Britney.

It gets worse when little Britney gets the giggles because she can't come up with anything to say.

A couple of years ago we had a freshman make out All-Area cross country team. They all met us at the paper for photos and interviews. When I walked up to her for her interview, she started bawling. I kid you not.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but he just might shoot you.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup. So much fun to try and get a quality quote from a giggling girl. Been there, done that ...

But when you get a well-spoken female athlete, they can come up with some nice one-liners that can enhance an otherwise mundane gamer.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Terry Mills, asking him why he stomped on Mike Peplowski's crotch in the 1986 Class A semifinals...

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Mine was something like that. High school sophomore raped, then shot once trying to get help in the clubhouse while golfing alone at her home course during, looking forward to the fall season. Not just any athlete in our coverage area, either -- she was a three-sport star in golf, basketball and track.

Did that interview almost one year later, after the guy was convicted and sentenced. She had her best friend with her the whole time in case she broke down and needed support, and there were tears shed, but she was incredibly strong. Either that or she hid it well. I tend to think the former is true.

12. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Agreed. I had a volleyball player give a great story that I used to bracket a gamer once.

Draft saved Draft deleted