1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tough Times for Book Publishing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by swenk, Dec 3, 2008.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Mitch: You're right. Saying such a contact is "next to meaningless" was a bit strong. Sorry. If this gets your proposal in front of an acquisitions editor at a publisher, that will help give you a start at least. But at that point, your proposal then lives and dies on its own. This business right now is brutal, and no one is going to take on a book unless they have strong evidence the book will sell well and that most of the sales will "stick" without a lot of returns.

Waylon and Swenk seem to have a good feel for how all this works. I, too, keep running into sports folks who have an idea for a fiction book, but I"m not sure that's the right route to go if you truly want to get published by a traditional publisher and get an advance, any advance.

Fiction is a squirrely genre for writers trying to break through in the publishing world. I believe 90% of newspaper writers loking to do a book are best served focusing on nonfiction and finding a compelling topic that can generate a great narrative.

What John Feinstein has accomplished is incredible, but odds greatly stacked against what he has done. Feinstein is not a flashy writer or terrific wordsmith, a la Rick reilly on his better days. Yet, when you read Feinstein, regardless of what this year's book topic is, it's hard to put his books down. Not because his narrative is particularly suspenseful, but because his prose just flows so well and he spends a ton of time with all his book subjects getting them to open up. Plus Feinstein is a great observer and knows how to weave his observations into consistently good reportage.

I've been an acquisitions editor and an author multiple times over with moderate success, and what I tell author aspirants is to find a nonfiction topic that they are passionate about and which they can identify a specific audience that has decent numbers. Dig in, do a killer proposal---a sample chapter isn't always necessary---network a bit to get it in front of a few agents and, hopefully, one of themt ake syou on and geos to work with you to polish your proposal to make it saleable.

Again though, be prepared to do a ton of work before you see a nickel. Go for it.

2. swenk

swenk Member

The New York Times looks at the realities of book advances; pretty basic but addresses a lot of good questions:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/books/review/Meyer-t.html?_r=2

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Ref. the mention of the second-time novelist getting a $5M advance for the second book at the same time the publisher bemoans drop in revenues -- if this is the best work your acquisitions editor can do, outbidding others with a winning pricetag of $5 million, then it's time to fire the AE, reject the deal and start over.

This is absolutely ridiculous and further proof why the big NY houses are hell-bent on self-sabatoge.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Waylon, can you explain in detail what you mean by "How are you going to sell it?"

5. I know it seems like a thin line, because in theory a great storyline would move copies, but that's not always true. Usually when you write up a proposal, there are two basic components. The story itself - and the marketing plan. Who is going to buy it? Why are they going to buy it? What makes this more than just a microregional product? A publisher isn't looking at your proposal the same way, say, an APSE judge would look at your contest entry. They are examining it to find out if there is money to be made, to recoup their investment and more.

Every word of a proposal, or close to it, needs to explain why this book will sell. Obviously explain that the story is a good one, but always in the context of how that will translate to books sold and money made.

6. swenk

swenk Member

As any agent or aspiring author can tell you, it's not a great time to be looking for a big advance. "$35,000 is the new $75,000," says the president of HarperCollins.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20090524/FREE/305249979

7. Not to mention the fact that most of the houses are in for pure starfucking these days.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

For the first time, an unauthorized bio of Vin Scully is going to come out next month (by Potomac). Scully says he's turned down offers for collaborations for years. This one's written by Curt Smith.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2009/05/the_book_vinnies_going_to.php

[​IMG]

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

"Unauthorized biography" usually carries the connotation of Kitty Kelley, but I doubt that's the case here. Smith has been borderline worshipful about Scully in his books.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Any reason Scully wouldn't co-operate with Smith on this project? Is he planning to do his autobiography at some point.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If I make an action doll with the likeness of LeBron James and profit without having been cleared by him/his representation, I can end up in court for making money on his image/likeness.

Why do these "unauthorized" authors skate?

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Facts aren't images.

Draft saved Draft deleted