1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tough time to find a new job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Apr 28, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I live in an oil boom town in the middle of absolute nowhere. Half the town works in the oil fields, so pretty much every imaginable industry is shorthanded. Businesses can't find skilled or unskilled workers. McDonald's is offering signing bonuses, Wal-Mart offered me almost as much as my newspaper job pays, everyone is hiring. The city has a real problem filling their open positions as well.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So how is Williston, N.D?

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Remote. But no outing, I don't need people finding out how bad I really am at this job.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I just landed a job this week. I had been looking for more than a year. I had one in-person interview with a company and a phone interview with another company before I interviewed for this position.

I'm lucky that it's closely related to the field. Not writing per se, but ...

I survived more than 250 applicants, but I think I got in because my fiance's parents new someone who worked at this place so I had a name to put on my application.

5. Grimace

Grimace Guest

That's awesome, congrats!

Let me guess: better money, better hours, less stress?

6. jps

jps Active Member

way to go, bbam.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Well, I was already out of the industry in a full-time sense. I've worked at a university for the last few years and moonlighted at the local rag. The money is much better than newspapers, the hours are kinda a push (nights and weekends included in this new gig, but not as consistently as the newspaper), and I really don't stress about work.

The big bonus: My fiance and I have lived three hours apart for the last 16 months. We'll actually have a "normal" relationship where we see each other more than just on weekends. And that wretched three-hour drive Monday morning before the sun rises will be no more.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

Just found a marketing job at a local hospital. Posted Thursday. I know a nurse there. She gave me some advice and I'm working on her to put in a good word or recognition for me. I'm sprucing up up the resume and meeting with a career advisor on Tuesday to critique the resume. Hopefully it's sparkling and the good word in for me can help in getting an interview. Fingers crossed.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Good luck. And congratulations, BBAM.

My interview seemed to go well Friday. They wrapped up interviews and will make a decision early next week, they said. So, I'll either have good news soon or keep grinding.

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I'm pullin' for you, JD.

11. NDub

NDub Guest

I went to a career counselor at the local university today. In full disclosure, I'm an alumn. Not sure if they only help us or other folks in the community, but anyway...

She critiqued my resume, gave me tips on networking and suggested some other stuff. It was REALLY helpful.

I'm still employed full-time but as you know (just based on this thread), I'm ready to get the hell out of newspapers. So I'm making plans right now, have been for a few months.

I'd suggest, if you can, get to a career advisor and get as much advice as you can -- especially in this shitty market.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oh, and JD, when they say early next week, in my experience it's usually late next week or even later.

So don't be sitting by the phone on Monday.

Draft saved Draft deleted