1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tough time to find a new job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It is tough out there. You really have to work it.

Best thing you can do is make or hit on a connection where you are applying. Sending a resume cold -- even if you are well-qualified -- isn't going to cut it these days 90 percent of the time.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'd probably be on the list of chronic unemployed, but I was lucky enough to be looking for a job just a little before the axe really got choppy earlier this year, and I decided to be willing to live in the most God-forsaken place possible (in the lower 48) where no one else would want the job.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments. I don't think it's repetition that's helped, though.

I spoke with a career counselor at my county's one-stop career center and she hit on exactly what I think my problem was: I'd get so nervous about my job situation and it would adversely affect my performance during the interview.

I've done better the last two interviews, but I think it's more because I've tried to listen to her suggestions about relaxing and slowing down my speech patterns since I can talk fast.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Best of luck, JD. Got my fingers crossed for you.

5. NDub

NDub Guest

So do I call the propsective employer and initiate conversation about my interest? Or maybe shoot an e-mail?

It's not very often we're just connected to anyone/thing we please.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hell, I wish it was that easy.

The pros would say that you should circle back and try to talk to someone on the phone or via email stating your interest in the job after about five days -- but not on a Monday.

The trick is to find out who the hiring manager -- or the HR person parsing resumes -- or who will ultimately make the decision.

You may need to do some research via google, linkedin, facebook, whatever.

Bottom line, they may have hundreds of resumes for a job and couldn't pick one if they tried. But if Bob in Accounting can vouch for NDub or you talked to the HR person and didn't seem like a wacko, it may put you at the top.

Sound places are tough nuts to crack. They keep the job description vague, don't take calls in HR, etc. So it's not easy.

7. You just described my exact situation, seriously almost verbatim.

I'm finding it brutal, as well. I've applied for positions where I'm perhaps a bit under qualified, for ones where I'm drastically over qualified, and ones where the ad appears to describe my exact skills and experience. Sales, marketing, customer service, fundraising gigs, PR, MR, you name it. I have impeccable references, I've had interviews lined up for me by well-to-do businessman in my area, etc. I customize each cover letter for each new opening, I place follow-up phone calls or send follow-up e-mails. In the rare case I get an interview, I inevitably leave feeling fantastic about the meeting, and then ...

As for employers responding to inquiries or, God forbid, getting back to the folks they interviewed, holy hell. It's a lost art. I'd estimate I've seriously applied for more than 100 jobs, and of those, maybe heard back from about 10. It's gotten to the point where I appreciate a rejection letter, form letter or not.

Sons of bitches.

Ahh, thanks for letting me, too, vent. Now only if I can get that well-timed interview, ala J_D.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

One of the 70-80 places I applied to was Office Depot . . . as a proofreader for ads.

With 26 years of newspaper copy editing experience, you'd think this job just might fit someone like me. Yet I hear absolutely nothing after submitting my application. No interview, no rejection letter. Nothing . . . except for a "not selected" designation next to my application, which I can view online.

Please, somebody hire my wife as a schoolteacher before she decides America is some godforsaken, third-world country where two highly educated people can't even find simple jobs.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My wife interviewed folks for a job under her. She said all had the qualifications and experience to be two levels above her and none was hired because the position was frozen.

It's tough.

10. NDub

NDub Guest

I think I'm going to talk to a career advisor at the local college. Have him or her check over my resume and cover letter and give me some tips about networking. I'm an alum so I should get some help.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I have a friend who became so frustrated with this experience of trying to find a job that he dumbed down his resume, including taking off his master's degree, and then submitted it to some of these retail jobs.

He is starting as some sort of a night manager at K-Mart on May 11th.

I think it is ridiculous that you must do this but the bottom line is being over qualified in this job market is not a good thing.

12. I find that to be a fascinating phenomenon. Amazing to think that K-Mart or whoever wouldn't want someone who's over-qualified. The only reason I can think of is the prospective employer doesn't want someone smarter than him who may either use his education as a reason to pay him more in the future, or because they may start a union or something. Weird.

Draft saved Draft deleted