1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tough time to find a new job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

It's a crappy market no doubt. I work in primarily a p.r. role and have been involved in both ends of the process. I've interviewed for two jobs since April - was 1 of 6 for one and 1 of 4 for the other. Didn't get either. I was way overqualified for one and probably underqualified for the other. I guess I should be happy that I got the interviews in this market.

On the other side, I'm finishing up a job search for an open position I supervise. We were absolutely flooded with applications - about 7x more than we would usually get for a position like this. A lot of people write some unbelievably stupid things in cover letters, so it's tough to feel for them. But there were a ton of worthy candidates that we didn't take a serious look at just because we had so deep a pool that we were able to drill down to people with more direct experience for our position.

I've got two friends outside of journalism really struggling to find work. It's brutal no matter what field you're in right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted