1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tough news about Dean Smith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jul 7, 2010.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Very well done...the A-word is not necessary, but sadly loud and clear.

2. CR19

CR19 Member

You have to feel for the guy. I can't imagine losing my memory and struggling to remember those I care about. Hopefully the good days outweigh the bad.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Coach K has forgotten more basketball than Coach Smith knows" / entitled Duke fan

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Coming from a dude with ZERO love for UNC, this really, really blows. No one should have to go through this. Thoughts for him and his family.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Sad to hear about Smith, but at his age not exactly shocking. As a Kansas fan growing up, one thing that helped me get over Roy not being able to get to the Final Four, let alone win it all, with that loaded 1997 team was that Dean Smith missed the Final Four in 1984 with a staring lineup of Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins, Brad Daugherty, Matt Doherty and Kenny Smith.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Tip of the hat for the writer doing a good job with a sensitive subject. Boo and hiss to those who felt the need to crack wise on this one.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Yeah. Seriously guys, not the thread to be assholes on.

It sucks to watch anyone lose their dignity, especially when they know it's happening. When my grandmother started going, she just looked at me and said, 'I'm not myself'. A couple of weeks ago Dr. J and I had to keep an I on her all day while dad got chemo, and at the end of the day she said it was nice meeting both of us.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Soooo ... that justifies making fun of his dementia?

Keep being you, Zag. You're the epitome of class.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Dan Dakich on MJ.

Okay seriously, as a guy on the West Coast who despised the Tar Heels (because they seemed to be the Notre Dame of college basketball getting the golden recruits, high grades, high character, top talent) from what I've read Dean Smith has been an amazing guy. From standing up against segregation to being gracious to opponents, he's done quite a bit besides just be a basketball coach. I wish him the best.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's so sad. You spend a life time achieving and building great memories of a well spent life and just when you want to sit back in the satisfaction of a life done well, you lack the ability to do so. Not just Smith but everyone who has to go thru this. once again proof that the devil won the war and we're all living in hell

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This is NOT the thread to trash people. Period.

Memory loss and mental disease are NOT funny. At all.

Hang in there, Dean. A classy man whose family probably learned well from him and will handle this in a classy manner.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Bobby and Dean won a couple more than you'd ever win.

Putz.

Draft saved Draft deleted