1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tough news about Dean Smith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jul 7, 2010.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Suffering from memory loss:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Some-sad-news-on-former-North-Carolina-coach-Dea;_ylt=Av0EBZ.uUHrqymCcZ7nAGx05nYcB?urn=ncaab,254281

I didn't know he was that sick.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Has been for a while now.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Carolina fans probably hope to forget the number of national titles he blew......

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Stay classy, zag.

Like Corky, I didn't know he was sick.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No wonder he didn't remember Stuey.

Not that he needed any excuse for that.

Shame. Damn shame. Double-damn shame.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One might say he is in the 4 corner stage of his life.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

A friend who was a bench-warmer at UNC went to the century celebration in February and told me then coach Smith was not doing well, didn't recognize a lot of the former players who showed up.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Really, Zag, was that necessary?

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Probably not - but he is another one of these "legend" coaches who I have always found to be severely overrated because he didn't win it all nearly as many times as he should have.

He's a lot like Bobby Bowden - great at building a program, great at recruiting, well liked by the media yet pissed away a number of national titles.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Zag, I overreacted. I'm a UNC grad and Dean Smith is a special person to a lot of us. Like all of us, he isn't immortal so this is a sad time. His career is subject to analysis just like anyone else and you make good points. Sure, he could have won more titles. Al McGuire outcoached him in '77 and the '84 team should have gone all the way. Some of his other teams could have won, too. But it doesn't always work out.

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Do you feel the same way about Coach K? Yeah, he's got twice as many rings as Dean Smith. But Coach K arguably should have won the 1986 and 1999 titles when his team was clearly the best in CBB all season. And don't forget Duke losing in the Sweet 16 as a #1 seed in 2002 and 2005.

Yes, Dean Smith should have won more than two titles. But he's not exactly the Marty Schottenheimer of CBB either.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And if K doesn't get the Dream Draw From God in '10, he doesn't win that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted