1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Touching so-long from Keith Olbermann to his mom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/06/olbermann-pays-tribute-to_n_183835.html

Watching the film of her taking her young son to Yankee Stadium started my waterworks.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wow.

That was incredible.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Awesome. KO didn't even quaver once.

And his mom sounds like 80 years of fun.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've taken shots at Olbermann for making the show too much about him - so I was really amazed at the restraint and eloquence he showed in the segment on his mom. Pretty clear who he took after. His mom was a piece of work. RIP Marie. And a class move by those at Fox Sports for allowing Olbermann to use the segment.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That gave me goose-bumps. Thanks for the link, Simon.

RIP, Marie Olbermann.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I was finally done in at the end when he said "And... by me."

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Olbermann is a great writer. Always has been.

I really enjoyed that.

8. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

sometimes the moments at the ends of the scale -- tragic, euphoric, joyous, desperate -- bring out the best in us. This is one of those moments.

9. Very nice job by KO. And, as Dan said, damned classy of David Hill to let him use the clip, and classy of KO to thank him by name. Hill's the best, btw.
    Slightly off topic, but I'm always amazed by those families of my era that used the old super 8 to film everything. Here's Ko and Mom going into the stadium. My family was so not like that. Too bad, really.
    Mom was a tough interview, too. I liked that.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Good stuff, there.

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Great stuff... RIP Marie and my thoughts and prayers to Keith and his family.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Outstanding piece and yet another reason why I always record Countdown. It's for the segments like this.

RIP Marie. Hope they have baseball games in heaven.

Draft saved Draft deleted